* [9fans] Plan 9 as local DHCP/DNS server
@ 2010-03-07 22:59 Benjamin Huntsman
From: Benjamin Huntsman @ 2010-03-07 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm trying to get a Plan 9 system set up to serve as a DHCP/DNS server on my local LAN.
The clients are mostly Windows systems, with some Macs, etc, thrown in.

Here are the relevant bits from /lib/ndb/local:

ipnet=internal ip=10.0.0.0 ipmask 255.255.0.0
    ipsubmask=255.255.255.0
    dns=ns2.test.local
    dns=ns1.test.local
    dnsdomain=test.local
    ipgw=10.0.0.1
    authdom=test.local auth=ns2

dom=test.local soa=
    refresh=3600 ttl=3600
    ns=ns2.test.local
    ns=ns1.test.local
    dnsdomain=test.local
    mb=ben@test.local
    mx=mail1.test.local pref=20

ip=10.0.0.102 sys=ns2 dom=ns2.test.local
    ether=005056b31741

And in /cfg/ns2/cpurc I have:

ip/dhcpd 10.0.0.2 99
ndb/dns -s

Now, it hands out DHCP addresses to my Windows clients, and, I can ping ns2.test.local by name, but, cannot ping the short name, ns2.
This is because the client doesn't receive a "Connection-specific DNS suffix" from dhcpd.  (You can see this in from "ipconfig /all").
I thought that is what the dnsdomain tuple was for, but apparently not?  ns1 is a FreeBSD host on which I can run ISC DHCPD, and it correctly hands Windows clients a connection-specific DNS suffix, but I'd rather keep both DNS and DHCP on a Plan 9 system...

Anyone tried using Plan 9's dns and dhcpd with Windows clients and gotten this to work?

Many thanks in advance!

-Ben

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 as local DHCP/DNS server
@ 2010-03-08  0:18 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-03-08  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Now, it hands out DHCP addresses to my Windows clients, and, I can ping ns2.test.local by name, but, cannot ping the short name, ns2.
> This is because the client doesn't receive a "Connection-specific DNS suffix" from dhcpd.  (You can see this in from "ipconfig /all").
> I thought that is what the dnsdomain tuple was for, but apparently not?  ns1 is a FreeBSD host on which I can run ISC DHCPD, and it correctly hands Windows clients a connection-specific DNS suffix, but I'd rather keep both DNS and DHCP on a Plan 9 system...

grepping the source, dns does dnsdomain like this
but dhcpd doesn't know anything about it.  i'd
appreicate a patch myself.  dhcpd needs to be
capable of supporting non-plan 9 clients.

- erik