* Re: [9fans] online updates now available
@ 2002-05-21 21:49 rsc
From: rsc @ 2002-05-21 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes.  The "-s" flag says use the server's copy,
the "-c" flag says use the local copy and don't
report the conflict again.

For example, earlier this afternoon I did
(output isn't exact, this is from memory).

	g% replica/pull -v /dist/replica/network
	386/bin/ssh: locally modified; will not update
	386/bin/sshnet: locally modified; will not update
	lib/ndb/local: locally modified; will not update
	g%

and resolved these by taking the new ssh binaries:

	g% replica/pull -vs /dist/replica/network 386/bin/ssh 386/bin/sshnet
	c 386/bin/ssh
	c 386/bin/sshnet
	g%

Note the lack of rooted slashes in the paths on the command line.

I would have next told replica/pull that I was happy
with lib/ndb/local the way I changed it:

	g% replica/pull -vc /dist/replica/network lib/ndb/local
	g%

except that when trying to figure out that there shouldn't
be rooted slashes on the pull ssh command line, I tried

	g% replica/pull -vs /dist/replica/network
	g%

which forced the server copy for everything.  I don't actually
use /lib/ndb/local, so I was okay.  Live and learn.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] online updates now available
@ 2002-05-29  9:04 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2002-05-29  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

are you using a terminal or a cpu server?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2081 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] online updates now available
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 08:48:18 GMT

I've ben trying to pull the updates, but I keep getting an error that
authentication is failing. Just to be sure that I didn't forget my
password, I created another account. I'm getting the same error:

srv tcp!sources.cs.bell-labs.com: mount failed: authentication failed

--
Christopher Nielsen - Metal-wielding pyro techie
"Those who are willing to trade freedom for security deserve

* Re: [9fans] online updates now available
@ 2002-05-29  8:48 ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2002-05-29  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-05-21 21:41 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-05-21 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> We have set up a Plan 9 file server to distribute
> updates using the replica(1) tools.

Thanks! Congratulations!

One (simple?) question: is there a simple idiom to force/allow replica
to (selectively!) update/overwrite some of the files that are reported
 'locally modified; will not update'?
(ala wrap/install -f if memory serves me right?)

Axel.

* [9fans] online updates now available
@ 2002-05-21 20:44 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-21 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We have set up a Plan 9 file server to distribute
updates using the replica(1) tools.  To create an
account on the server, you must go to the web page

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/newaccount.html

and answer The Questions one final time.  Once you
have created an account, you will be presented with
instructions for updating your Plan 9 installation.

To update your kfs system, run the following script (if you
set up a non-kfs file server, you'll have to edit to suit):

	cat >/tmp/network <<'!'
	#!/bin/rc

	s=/n/dist/dist/replica
	serverroot=/n/dist
	serverlog=$s/plan9.log
	serverproto=$s/plan9.proto
	fn servermount {
		srv tcp!sources.cs.bell-labs.com sources /n/sources
		bind /n/sources/plan9 /n/dist
	}
	fn serverupdate { status='' }

	fn clientmount { 9fs kfs }
	c=/n/kfs/dist/replica
	clientroot=/n/kfs
	clientdb=$c/client/plan9.db
	clientexclude=(dist/replica/client)
	clientlog=$c/client/plan9.log

	applyopt=(-u -T$c/client/plan9.time)
	!
	chmod +x /tmp/network

	cat >>/net/ndb <<'!'
	auth=sources.cs.bell-labs.com authdom=outside.plan9.bell-labs.com
	!

	echo -n refresh >/net/cs

	disk/kfscmd allow
	replica/pull -v /tmp/network

After running this, you'll be able to use

	disk/kfscmd allow
	replica/pull -v /dist/replica/network

to retrieve future updates.

See replica(1) for more information.

If you have customized /lib/ndb/local,
the update will not overwrite it.  Instead,
add the following line:

	auth=sources.cs.bell-labs.com authdom=outside.plan9.bell-labs.com

The additional packages are also available
on the same server.  After updating, you can do

	9fs sources
	ls -l /n/sources/extra

to see them.

Enjoy.