* [9fans] Broadcom ethernet
@ 2005-06-02  9:25 Alberto Rodriguez Galdo
From: Alberto Rodriguez Galdo @ 2005-06-02  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

   Is there any possibility of having a broadcom ethernet card running in plan9?

   I have plan9 installed in an Acer Travelmate 4001 Laptop wich
integrates one of those.

p.s.- not even mention to have the intel wireless chipset running ;-)

greets,
--
Alberto Rodriguez Galdo
argaldo@gmail.com

* Re: [9fans] Broadcom ethernet
@ 2005-06-02 13:13 ` George Gensure
From: George Gensure @ 2005-06-02 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Rodriguez Galdo, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Been working on this for a couple of months.  Mine is a port of the b44
driver for linux, not sure if that is what you're using (nor how many
chipsets broadcom has released).

Regards,
George

Alberto Rodriguez Galdo wrote:

>Hi,
>
>   Is there any possibility of having a broadcom ethernet card running in plan9?
>
>   I have plan9 installed in an Acer Travelmate 4001 Laptop wich
>integrates one of those.
>

>p.s.- not even mention to have the intel wireless chipset running ;-)
>
>greets,

* Re: [9fans] Broadcom ethernet
@ 2005-06-02 13:49   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2005-06-02 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Looks to me like linux uses the b44 driver with
the Acer Travelmate 4001 so you could be a beta
tester of George's driver :-)

We have a load of hp xw4100 PCs which are
equipped with Broadcom NetXtreme 5782 cards;
(5782 is helpfully the PCI DID). These are
supported by the b44 driver too so I will do
some testing also...

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Broadcom ethernet
@ 2005-06-02 16:04     ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2005-06-02 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I started on a driver for the Broadcom GbE chips a few months
ago, but put it aside for a while as it and the drivers I was
using for 'documentation' were making me ill. I'll have to get
back to it soon, though.

--jim

* Re: [9fans] Broadcom ethernet
@ 2005-06-02 19:05   ` Alberto Rodriguez Galdo
From: Alberto Rodriguez Galdo @ 2005-06-02 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Gensure, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/2/05, George Gensure <werkt@csh.rit.edu> wrote:
> Been working on this for a couple of months.  Mine is a port of the b44
> driver for linux, not sure if that is what you're using (nor how many
> chipsets broadcom has released).

Mine is a broadcom BCM4401 (or at least this is the version Linux
recognizes), if you need help with the driver, please let me know, i'm
very interested in having my ethernet card working. I have C knowledge
but no plan9 programming experience... but you can be sure i'll try to
learn, or at least I can betatest you driver if you want...

Hoping to hear from you soon,

Alberto Rodriguez

--
Alberto Rodriguez Galdo
argaldo@gmail.com

* Re: [9fans] Broadcom ethernet
@ 2005-06-03 13:55     ` George Gensure
From: George Gensure @ 2005-06-03 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>Mine is a broadcom BCM4401 (or at least this is the version Linux
>recognizes), if you need help with the driver, please let me know, i'm
>very interested in having my ethernet card working. I have C knowledge
>but no plan9 programming experience... but you can be sure i'll try to
>learn, or at least I can betatest you driver if you want...

I don't have the hardware here at work with me, but I'm 99% sure its
also a BCM4401, and there were some per-chipset mods that I was coding
in that were pulled straight from the linux approach.  Should be in a
good working state by July, and I'll let you know about testing.  Thanks
for the offer.

Regards,
George

* Re: [9fans] Broadcom ethernet