* [9fans] diskless boot of one terminal off kfs machine
@ 2003-02-04  9:46 Steve Simon
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Steve Simon @ 2003-02-04  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I'am still struggling trying to get a (hard) disk-less terminal to boot
from a kfs standalone machine.

The kfs machine is savan and the diskless one is larch.

I have connected the two machines together via a crossover 10baseT cable
point to point.

I use savan (a laptop) all the time and the 3c589 works faultlessly.

I have hit several IRQ miseries on larch but I have got a combination that
works.
If I boot the install floppy on my diskless machine and do an explicit
ip/ipconfig I can ping the larchbox from savan.

I have added the MAC address to /lib/ndb/local on savan so DHCP can work.
I renamed the services in /rc/bin/service/_* to remove the _s

On savan then I run:
    aux/lisen il
    aux/listen tcp
    ip/dhcpd -d

I use the attached plan9.ini to boot larch into the 9pc.gz kernel.

it complains about not being able to find local/bzroot but continues - it
sees the
ethernet card OK. It prompts me for "root is from" th the bootargs (as
expected)
I accept this. Then I give my user name (same as on savan) and larch hangs.

After a few minuites it panics having given up trying to attach to the
fileserer.

netstat shows no open connections, the debug flag on dhcpd has caused no
output ether

What have i missed?

Also is it possible to boot from 9load rather than from 9pc.gz - this would
mean keeping
less state on larch's boot floppy.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] diskless boot of one terminal off kfs machine
@ 2003-02-04 22:47 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2003-02-04 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks to all for your kind help.

My problems turned out to be towfold.

As I was just using a crossover cable between two ethernet cards
the auto media detection on the cards somtimes fails. This is easy to
fix, I just added a media=10BaseT clause to the ether0=tyle=xxx lines
in plan9.ini on both machines.

Seccondly I was using the using aux/listen to start il17031 rather than
starting
disk/kfscmd listen (Doh !)

I started to build a fossil server but gave up in the end. The transfer
rate seemed very slow over ethernet (30% utilisation from looking at stats),
I haven't investigated.

If any of the fossil developers is interested I was using an fs interleaved
filesystem accross 3 fairly fast disks and got "disk: io=10021 at 8.779ms"
I got about 25 of these in 3 hours of mkfs | mkext before giving up.
The times increased slowly about 13ms but the counts stayed at 10010 +- 10.

-Steve

[parent not found: <85769895@snellwilcox.com>]