* Re: [9fans] winnt boot method - hand editing boot.ini
@ 2002-09-18 20:16 Russ Cox
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-18 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You need to copy the first sector of your Plan 9 partition
into a file bootsect.p9 on your NT drive, and then use
something like (this is from my Win2000 system):

[boot loader]
timeout=3600
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
c:\bootsect.p9 = "Plan 9 from Bell Labs"

There are a few gotchas.  First, make sure your
9fat has the right PBS before you copy the first
sector.  For example,

	disk/format -b /386/pbslba /dev/sdC0/plan9
	dd -bs 512 -count 1 < /dev/sdC0/plan9 > bootsect.p9

will probably do the right thing.
Note that format -b doesn't do anything other than
replace the PBS code.  In particular it doesn't format
the disk.

The other gotcha is that I vaguely recall reading that
sectors you put in the [operating systems] section have
to be on a FAT drive for the boot loader to find them.
This seems unlikely, since the boot loader clearly reads
NTFS to get at the boot.ini file.  But if it is true, then you're
just out of luck.

Another option is to install something like Partition Magic
and let it handle the boot menu.  (Anyone know of a good
free program like that, just for selecting the primary partition?)

Russ

* RE: [9fans] winnt boot method - hand editing boot.ini
@ 2002-09-18 20:56 ` Jason Gurtz
       [not found] ` <1107382723.563392.231440@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>
From: Jason Gurtz @ 2002-09-18 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Another option is to install something like Partition Magic
> and let it handle the boot menu.  (Anyone know of a good
> free program like that, just for selecting the primary partition?)

Perhaps, if someone has figured out how to boot Plan 9 with it, grub
would do the trick.  It boots the NT based OS's just fine with it's
chainload functionality.  Find it here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-download.html

* Re: [9fans] winnt boot method - hand editing boot.ini
@ 2002-09-18 21:26 ` Jack Johnson
       [not found] ` <1107382723.563392.231440@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>
From: Jack Johnson @ 2002-09-18 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Russ Cox wrote:
> Another option is to install something like Partition Magic
> and let it handle the boot menu.  (Anyone know of a good
> free program like that, just for selecting the primary partition?)

I use Smart BootManager ( http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/ ).  Though I
don't use it as my regular boot manager, I use it all the time on older
hardware to boot from CD when the BIOS won't support it.

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] XP boot
       [not found] ` <1107382723.563392.231440@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>
@ 2005-02-02 22:26   ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2005-02-02 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 18:16:43 +0100, boyd, rounin <boyd@insultant.net> wrote:
> boot.ini essentially points at a 'boot block'.  i'm a bit wary about [potentially]
> smashing a currently bootable system.
>
> this will take some thought.

Well, I checked the 9fans archives, since I recall getting help on
this problem some time ago, and voilà!

You need to copy the first sector of your Plan 9 partition
into a file bootsect.p9 on your NT drive, and then use
something like (this is from my Win2000 system):

[boot loader]
timeout=3600
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional" /fastdetect
c:\bootsect.p9 = "Plan 9 from Bell Labs"

There are a few gotchas.  First, make sure your
9fat has the right PBS before you copy the first
sector.  For example,

disk/format -b /386/pbslba /dev/sdC0/plan9
dd -bs 512 -count 1 < /dev/sdC0/plan9 > bootsect.p9

will probably do the right thing.
Note that format -b doesn't do anything other than
replace the PBS code.  In particular it doesn't format
the disk.

<snip>

Russ

* [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-02-02 22:28     ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2005-02-02 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2005-02-02 23:19       ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-02-02 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

    Well, I checked the 9fans archives, since I recall getting help on
    this problem some time ago, and voilà!

well yeah, until you get this [translation for the tiny amount of french]:

    <window's root>\system32\hall.dll

would appear to be missing.

it would seem they [u$loth] have gone out of their way to make it impossible.
--
MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604

* Re: [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-02-02 23:59         ` Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2005-02-02 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>    <window's root>\system32\hall.dll
>
>would appear to be missing.
This may or may not help:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184

You're entering a world of pain son, a world of pain.

* Re: [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-02-03  0:03           ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-02-03  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> You're entering a world of pain son, a world of pain.

locks and loads M1911 ...

* Re: [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-02-03 14:55           ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2005-02-03 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Andrew Simmons wrote:

> This may or may not help:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184
>
> You're entering a world of pain son, a world of pain.

I tried to make this XP laptop into a multi-boot machine following those
instructions (after having tried the usual *BSD methods). It didn't
work. Once XP owns your machine it does not want to see squatters in its
midst. Ended up sending the machine back to HP.

* Re: [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-02-03 22:25             ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-02-03 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Once XP owns your machine it does not want to see squatters in its
> midst. Ended up sending the machine back to HP.

yes, this was my conclusion.  i've seen these bastards break interfaces
etc to ensure that their shit is the only thing that runs on it.

lesson 1: go near XP you don't get to run plan 9 (unless you use external
boot media).

lesson 2: fewer and fewer machines have floppies.
--
MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604

* Re: [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-02-03 23:21               ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-02-03 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> lesson 1: go near XP you don't get to run plan 9 (unless you use external
> boot media).

this is just not true.  you can use smart boot manager,
as has been mentioned already in this thread, and
everything just works.  you get a nice little menu at
boot time, and neither plan 9 nor windows xp has
to get involved.

i've used 2000/xp and plan 9 together without external boot
media for four years.

russ

* Re: [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-02-03 23:28                 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-02-03 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> lesson 1: go near XP you don't get to run plan 9 (unless you use external
>> boot media).
>
> this is just not true.  you can use smart boot manager,
> as has been mentioned already in this thread, and
> everything just works.

russ, i'm just not 'feeling lucky'.  customer 'service' in .fr is a bit of an oxymoron.
--
MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604

* RE: [9fans] winnt boot method - hand editing boot.ini
@ 2002-09-19 14:46 ` Jason Gurtz
From: Jason Gurtz @ 2002-09-19 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> [...]  After setting up a 9fat partition with pbslba,
> I just had to add this to the grub menu.lst file:
>
> title = brazil
> root = (hd0,5)
> chainloader = +1

Thanks for that post, I'm sure I'll use that at some time or another.

~Jason

* RE: [9fans] winnt boot method - hand editing boot.ini
@ 2002-09-19  8:07 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2002-09-19  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>  > Perhaps, if someone has figured out how to boot Plan 9 with it, grub
>  > would do the trick.  It boots the NT based OS's just fine with it's
>  Configuring means running some non-Plan 9 operating system
>  (usually Linux).  That's not acceptable, mainly because I might
>  not have the operating system du jour on the machine in question.

I understand and agree with Russ's point here; but it's still a useful
option for someone who wants to add Plan 9 to a system which already has
grub.  For example, I bought a T21 with Linux pre-installed as a way of
avoiding the Microsoft Tax.  After setting up a 9fat partition with pbslba,
I just had to add this to the grub menu.lst file:

title = brazil
root = (hd0,5)
chainloader = +1

-- Richard

* Re: [9fans] winnt boot method - hand editing boot.ini
@ 2002-09-18 21:59 ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2002-09-18 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

    Russ> I'm sick of configuring things.  I want a boot
    Russ> manager that just says ``here are the partitions i found; pick
    Russ> one to boot.''

Another option is FreeBSD's boot0, which operates exactly as you describe.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/boot/i386/boot0/boot0.s

--lyndon

* RE: [9fans] winnt boot method - hand editing boot.ini
@ 2002-09-18 21:38 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-18 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Perhaps, if someone has figured out how to boot Plan 9 with it, grub
> would do the trick.  It boots the NT based OS's just fine with it's

Our kernels make no attempt at being multiboot compliant,
and we need some special environment setup anyway (plan9.ini
contents are left at a certain address in memory).  The other problem
with grub, as I understand it, is that it requires config info.
I'm sick of configuring things.  I want a boot manager that just
says ``here are the partitions i found; pick one to boot.''
Configuring means running some non-Plan 9 operating system
(usually Linux).  That's not acceptable, mainly because I might
not have the operating system du jour on the machine in question.

> I use Smart BootManager ( http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/ ).  Though I
> don't use it as my regular boot manager, I use it all the time on older
> hardware to boot from CD when the BIOS won't support it.

This is exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks!

Russ

* [9fans] winnt boot method - hand editing boot.ini
@ 2002-09-18 16:56 Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2002-09-18 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am installing plan9 on a dual-boot system with windows xp. The nt
boot method can apparently not write to an NTFS partion. What can I
add to windows' boot.ini to make plan9 appear on the boot menu?
Joel