* [9fans] Loader dependencies
@ 2013-04-10  5:04 Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2013-04-10  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

gunge% mk
mk: don't know how to make '../8l/elf.h' in directory
/usr/stallion/src/armv7a/5l

... really? I assume this crept in as a part of Geoff's latest ELF changes.

* Re: [9fans] Loader dependencies
@ 2013-04-10  5:49 ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2013-04-10  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> gunge% mk
> mk: don't know how to make '../8l/elf.h' in directory
> /usr/stallion/src/armv7a/5l

mkdir /usr/stallion/src/armv7a/8l
cp /sys/src/cmd/8l/elf.? /usr/stallion/src/armv7a/8l

elf.c and elf.h are platform-independent files and
are currently located in the 8l directory because
it hasn't seemed worth creating /sys/src/cmd/ld
just for two files.

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] Loader dependencies
@ 2013-04-10  5:58   ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2013-04-10  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> elf.c and elf.h are platform-independent files and
> are currently located in the 8l directory because
> it hasn't seemed worth creating /sys/src/cmd/ld
> just for two files.

libelf.a?

++L

* Re: [9fans] Loader dependencies
@ 2013-04-10  5:59   ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2013-04-10  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I understand the taxonomy. I'm commenting on the general laziness of the
change. Given that many of us tend to work on acl changes in isolation,
this is an annoyance at best.

@ 2013-04-10  6:05     ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2013-04-10  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Nah, ld is warranted. I've posted a patch somewhat recently to add uImage
support that would fit in as well. Geoff had mentioned an interest in
adding support to each of the loaders rather than just 5l.

@ 2013-04-10  9:19       ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2013-04-10  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

That wouldn't, however, have solved your immediate problem: you'd have got
a missing ld instead of missing 8l

@ 2013-04-10 14:01     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-04-10 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Apr 10 02:00:35 EDT 2013, sstallion@gmail.com wrote:

> I understand the taxonomy. I'm commenting on the general laziness of the
> change. Given that many of us tend to work on acl changes in isolation,
> this is an annoyance at best.

i think you misspelled "conservitivism."  ☺  imo, the elf patch
did a complete job of consolidating elf support, and
in some cases extending it to all elf-supporing arches.

what it didn't do is create an ld directory, but that's
a seperate issue.  and i could understand resisting adding it.

but i agree that an ld directory is probablly justified now,
and would simplify maintence.  for example, the recent
library search change that touched every linker, not just
the ld directory.  (there are more than 2 files that would
be in it.)  maybe it would also help for uimage support.

i considered doing this a few weeks ago, but the potential
differences with sources kept me from it.

regardless of the directory name, in your case the fix is
to copy the donor directory to the same parent as your
test linker.

- erik