* Re: [9fans] Error after pull (fossil: diskReadRaw failed)
@ 2007-12-10 23:51 josh
From: josh @ 2007-12-10 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> This looks like a hardware error (your disk is failing),
>> not a software error (pull broke something).
>
>Thanks for the answer Russ.
>
>What would be the right way of checking the fossil filesystem?
>
>% con /srv/fscons
>prompt: srv -AWP replica
>prompt: fsys main check fix pdir

I think you want to start at a lower level than the fossil
console. A recent thread, 'venti wrarena i/o errors,'
discussed troubleshooting hardware disk errors, esp. with
dd(1). Manufacturer disk setup/diagnosis tools can be
helpful, too.

--
Josh

* Re: [9fans] Error after pull (fossil: diskReadRaw failed)
@ 2007-12-14  9:41 ` Juan M. Mendez
From: Juan M. Mendez @ 2007-12-14  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 11/12/2007, josh@utopian.net <josh@utopian.net> wrote:
> >> This looks like a hardware error (your disk is failing),
> >> not a software error (pull broke something).
> I think you want to start at a lower level than the fossil
> console. A recent thread, 'venti wrarena i/o errors,'
> discussed troubleshooting hardware disk errors, esp. with
> dd(1). Manufacturer disk setup/diagnosis tools can be
> helpful, too.

Thanks Josh,

The disk is indeed old, I already did a low level format, or that it's what
the tools I used told me :)

The problem was corrected after I booted with the plan9 livecd
and did a check to the disk with this.

fossil/fossil -c 'srv -p fscons'
con /srv/fscons
prompt: srv -AWP replica
prompt: fsys main config /dev/sdC0/fossil
prompt: fsys main open -AWP
warning: connecting to venti: cs: can't translate address: '/srv/dns' file
does not exist
prompt: fsys main
main: check fix

PS: Newbie self note. Don't do this without the livecd (on the running
file system).

* Re: [9fans] Error after pull (fossil: diskReadRaw failed)
@ 2007-12-14  9:58   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2007-12-14  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The disk is indeed old, I already did a low level format, or that it's what
> the tools I used told me :)

i thought you weren't ever supposed to do that with current discs

* Re: [9fans] Error after pull (fossil: diskReadRaw failed)
@ 2007-12-14 10:05     ` Juan M. Mendez
From: Juan M. Mendez @ 2007-12-14 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 14/12/2007, Charles Forsyth <forsyth@terzarima.net> wrote:
> > The disk is indeed old, I already did a low level format, or that it's what
> > the tools I used told me :)
>
> i thought you weren't ever supposed to do that with current discs

I used Seagate Tools (sgatfmt4.exe) on a dos bootable floppy over this
Samsung IDE disc.
If the program lied to me saying it was a lowlevel when in fact it
wasn't...my lack of
knowledge can explain it, but it didn't seem a zero fill since it took
2.5 days to complete.
--
Fidonet: 2:345/432.2

* Re: [9fans] Error after pull (fossil: diskReadRaw failed)
@ 2007-12-10 21:19   ` Juan M. Mendez
From: Juan M. Mendez @ 2007-12-10 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/12/2007, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> > And through 'cat  /dev/kmesg':

> > fossil: diskWriteRaw failed: /dev/sdC0/fossil: score 0x00000010: date
> > Fri Feb 23 09:49:35 EST 2001
> >  part=data block 16: i/o error
>
> This looks like a hardware error (your disk is failing),
> not a software error (pull broke something).

Thanks for the answer Russ.

What would be the right way of checking the fossil filesystem?

% con /srv/fscons
prompt: srv -AWP replica
prompt: fsys main check fix pdir

That would be right?

Thanks,

Juan

* Re: [9fans] Error after pull (fossil: diskReadRaw failed)
@ 2007-12-10 18:46 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-12-10 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> After a 'pull' I get this messages.
> "warning: skipping bad log entry <119>"
>
> And through 'cat  /dev/kmesg':
>
> fossil: diskReadRaw failed: /dev/sdC0/fossil: score 0x0000002a:
> part=data block 42: i/o error
> fossil: diskWriteRaw failed: /dev/sdC0/fossil: score 0x00000004: date
> Fri Feb 23 09:49:34 EST 2001
>  part=data block 4: i/o error
> fossil: diskReadRaw failed: /dev/sdC0/fossil: score 0x0000002a:
> part=data block 42: i/o error
> fossil: diskWriteRaw failed: /dev/sdC0/fossil: score 0x00000010: date
> Fri Feb 23 09:49:35 EST 2001
>  part=data block 16: i/o error

This looks like a hardware error (your disk is failing),
not a software error (pull broke something).

Russ

* [9fans] Error after pull (fossil: diskReadRaw failed)
@ 2007-12-08  9:04 Juan M. Mendez
From: Juan M. Mendez @ 2007-12-08  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello people,