* [9fans] New User (Experimentor only, non-programmer)
@ 2008-02-24 12:54 philo
From: philo @ 2008-02-24 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I just installed Plan 9 yesterday on a machine I've setup with removable
drives.
My machine is setup simply to experiment with different OS's and I've got
drives
with several dozen different systems:
Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, OS/2, BeOs , Solaris, etc.

Plan 9 is now my latest experiment.

The main thing I wanted to do with Plan 9 was just use it to FTP data up to
my website.
Though I've got the network configured and can Ping out...
I was not able to find any FTP.   ( I did find  "ftpd" though)

If I get that working, about the only other question I have is if there is a
text-based news reader
available for accessing Usenet.

I read over the Wikipedia info but was not able to ascertain anything to
help me.

Thanks

* Re: [9fans] New User (Experimentor only, non-programmer)
@ 2008-02-24 12:57 ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-02-24 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

ftpfs -m /n/yourftp domain.com

You will be asked for a username and password.

cd /n/yourftp

Your files are now there.

@ 2008-02-24 13:00   ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-02-24 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

A note: the Plan 9 philosophy is to subdivide all tasks into
namespaces that are part of the file system. The mail system upas,
the USB system usbd, the print sytem lp, the FTP system ftpfs, the
web site access system webfs - all of them mount information to the
file system. In fact, the /proc directory, where your processes are
stored, made its way into other operating systems, and makes the who
command very short...

@ 2008-02-24 14:35   ` philo
From: philo @ 2008-02-24 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 6:57 AM, Pietro Gagliardi <pietro10@mac.com> wrote:

> ftpfs -m /n/yourftp domain.com
>
> You will be asked for a username and password.
>
> cd /n/yourftp
>
> Your files are now there.

Other than the fact that I forgot to bind my DNS the first time I tried
it...
worked just fine!

I appreciate the help and should be OK to experiment on my own for a while.

Thank you very much for taking the time to kelp a newbie!!!

--
www.plazaearth.com/philo

* Re: [9fans] New User (Experimentor only, non-programmer)
@ 2008-02-24 18:18 ` Fazlul Shahriar
From: Fazlul Shahriar @ 2008-02-24 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If I get that working, about the only other question I have is if there is a
> text-based news reader
> available for accessing Usenet.

try News in acme, which uses nntpfs(4)

* Re: [9fans] New User (Experimentor only, non-programmer)
@ 2008-02-24 18:49   ` philo
From: philo @ 2008-02-24 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

OK
thank you for the reply.
I see that I do have acme...so I'll go test it out now and see what I can do
with it!

@ 2008-02-24 19:29     ` philo
From: philo @ 2008-02-24 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs