* [9fans] venti score types
@ 2004-08-25 12:57 Steve Simon
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Steve Simon @ 2004-08-25 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

As I understand it (and I'am sure I will be corrected if I'am wrong!)
scores printed by the fossil console vac command are for the root
of a piece of the dump history, eg. 2004, this with have a directory per
dump and a plan9 filesystem below that.

The vac store you want for reinitialising fossil with is one which has
a top level directory of active, archive and snapshot (snapshot will
be empty as snapshots don't get as far as venti but I would expect the
directory to be there.

You can see all this by putting the two different scores in two files
and running vacfs on them.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] venti score types
@ 2004-08-25 16:28 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-08-25 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> As I understand it (and I'am sure I will be corrected if I'am wrong!)
> scores printed by the fossil console vac command are for the root
> of a piece of the dump history, eg. 2004, this with have a directory per
> dump and a plan9 filesystem below that.
>
> The vac store you want for reinitialising fossil with is one which has
> a top level directory of active, archive and snapshot (snapshot will
> be empty as snapshots don't get as far as venti but I would expect the
> directory to be there.
>
> You can see all this by putting the two different scores in two files
> and running vacfs on them.

correct.

* [9fans] ftpfs bug
@ 2004-08-25 16:29 ` rog
From: rog @ 2004-08-25 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ftpfs has an annoying little bug.  actually it has at least two, one
of which is trivial, and i've just submitted a patch.  the other is
shown up by this program:

#include <u.h>
#include <libc.h>
void
main(void)
{
	int fd;
	fd = create("/n/ftp/blah", OWRITE, 0666);
	if(fd == -1)
		print("create: %r\n");
	else
	if(dirfstat(fd) == nil)
		print("fstat: %r\n");
}

not only does the fstat fail, but the failed fstat somehow causes the
newly created file to escape the cache - it only shows up when
reconnected to the ftp site.

the above isn't a problem usually, except that inside inferno, (and
exportfs too) a newly created file is fstat()ed to find out its new
qid.  this means that

	cp somefile /n/ftp

gets:

	cp: can't create /n/ftp/somefile: file does not exist

except the file does exist, and shows up next time (zero length, of
course).

is anyone out there familiar with ftpfs?  i've no time for fixing
anything right now, but this might turn out to be a really trivial
change...

* Re: [9fans] venti score types
@ 2004-09-02  9:07 ` Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2004-09-02  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
> As I understand it (and I'am sure I will be corrected if I'am wrong!)
> scores printed by the fossil console vac command are for the root
> of a piece of the dump history, eg. 2004, this with have a directory per
> dump and a plan9 filesystem below that.
>
> The vac store you want for reinitialising fossil with is one which has
> a top level directory of active, archive and snapshot (snapshot will
> be empty as snapshots don't get as far as venti but I would expect the
> directory to be there.
>
> You can see all this by putting the two different scores in two files
> and running vacfs on them.

Yes, I see.

Is it intended that the snap -a scores can't be figured out
subsequently? (e.g. if I didn't make a note of a score of last month)

Cheers, Heiko

* Re: [9fans] venti score types
@ 2004-09-02 10:52   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2004-09-02 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Russ posted a couple of scripts lastfossil and vacchain to 9fans.
These extract the last snap -a score and the chain of previous ones
from a running system.

Having said this you old vac scores arent very usefull, its the one
just before fossil crashed you really need...

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] venti score types
@ 2004-09-02 11:09     ` Fco. J. Ballesteros
From: Fco. J. Ballesteros @ 2004-09-02 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Having said this you old vac scores arent very usefull, its the one
> just before fossil crashed you really need...

Fossil prints its vac on the console after a snap -a, if you copy the
console to a log file, and print or keep the log file vacs, you'll get
the vac of interest.

* Re: [9fans] venti score types
@ 2004-09-02 13:20     ` Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2004-09-02 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
> Russ posted a couple of scripts lastfossil and vacchain to 9fans.
> These extract the last snap -a score and the chain of previous ones
> from a running system.

Ah, thanks. And sorry for asking questions which were addressed a year
before. (my google query wasn't that good, I think)