* Re: [9fans] Managing without a floppy disk drive
@ 2002-07-31  8:39 jmk
From: jmk @ 2002-07-31  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Jul 31 04:32:45 EDT 2002, nigel@9fs.org wrote:
> Say I had a PC motherboard without a floppy disk drive connector.
> It's got IDE, USB, parallel, ethernet, PCI. However, the ethernet is
> unsupported (yet).
>
> How would I develop the ethernet driver for 9load/9pcdisk?
>
> It does occur to me that I could plug a supported ethernet card
> into the PCI socket, then develop the kernel driver by booting
> it over the ether.
>
> I've not paid attention to how USB floppy based systems (e.g.
> Sony Vaio) are booted. How is this done?
>
> Any other suggestions appreciated.

Plugging a supported ethernet card into the PCI is the easiest
option. Boot from a CD.

* Re: [9fans] Managing without a floppy disk drive
@ 2002-07-31  9:11 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2002-07-31  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Nigel Roles wrote:

>I've not paid attention to how USB floppy based systems (e.g.
>Sony Vaio) are booted. How is this done?

This trickery is done by getting the BIOS to boot the floppy and then to get
plan 9 to use a copy of the floppy on c:

Look at:

    http://home.fr.inter.net/boyd/code/plan9/usbflop.html

But I don't think it'll help you in your case.

* [9fans] Managing without a floppy disk drive
@ 2002-07-31  8:31 Nigel Roles