* [9fans] bootsetup failure on 9legacy
@ 2014-04-20 16:47 Jan
From: Jan @ 2014-04-20 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

During the final step of the 9legacy install on an IBM Thinkpad T60 I get an error saying that it fails to mount the 9fat partition and copy the files from the /n/newfs directory. I did notice an earlier error where it failed to apply dma to my hard drive, citing an I/O error. An error similar to the one I get during bootsetup. Any advice?

* Re: [9fans] bootsetup failure on 9legacy
@ 2014-04-20 17:08 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-04-20 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Apr 20 12:50:07 EDT 2014, j@margolius.co.uk wrote:

> During the final step of the 9legacy install on an IBM Thinkpad T60 I
> get an error saying that it fails to mount the 9fat partition and copy
> the files from the /n/newfs directory.  I did notice an earlier error
> where it failed to apply dma to my hard drive, citing an I/O error.
> An error similar to the one I get during bootsetup.  Any advice?

if possible, try to select ahci mode rather than ide mode in bios.
there are some known issues that i've fixed, but i'm not sure the fixes
have made the rounds.

- erik

* [9fans] FW:  bootsetup failure on 9legacy
@ 2014-04-20 18:11   ` Jan
From: Jan @ 2014-04-20 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It was in AHCI mode already so I've put the HDD into 'Compatibility Mode' if it works I'll get back to you.
> During the final step of the 9legacy install on an IBM Thinkpad T60 I
> get an error saying that it fails to mount the 9fat partition and copy
> the files from the /n/newfs directory.  I did notice an earlier error
> where it failed to apply dma to my hard drive, citing an I/O error.
> An error similar to the one I get during bootsetup.  Any advice?

if possible, try to select ahci mode rather than ide mode in bios.
there are some known issues that i've fixed, but i'm not sure the fixes
have made the rounds.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] FW:  bootsetup failure on 9legacy
@ 2014-04-20 18:27     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-04-20 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Apr 20 14:12:52 EDT 2014, j@margolius.co.uk wrote:
> It was in AHCI mode already so I've put the HDD into 'Compatibility Mode' if it works I'll get back to you.

two possibilities.  either your disk is actually ide (i wouldn't think so from
a quick look at the vintage), or that ahci driver has issues.

i would try from the install cd

	time dd -if /dev/sdE?/data -of /dev/null -bs 512k -count 1000

i'd also be interested in the output of
	pci
	cat /dev/sdctl
	cat /dev/sdE?/ctl

- erik

* [9fans] FW:  FW:  bootsetup failure on 9legacy
@ 2014-04-20 20:08       ` Jan
From: Jan @ 2014-04-20 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Compatibility Mode didn't work either so I'll try what you suggested.
> It was in AHCI mode already so I've put the HDD into 'Compatibility Mode' if it works I'll get back to you.

two possibilities.  either your disk is actually ide (i wouldn't think so from
a quick look at the vintage), or that ahci driver has issues.

i would try from the install cd

        time dd -if /dev/sdE?/data -of /dev/null -bs 512k -count 1000

i'd also be interested in the output of
        pci
        cat /dev/sdctl
        cat /dev/sdE?/ctl

- erik

* Re: [9fans] FW:  FW:  bootsetup failure on 9legacy
@ 2014-04-20 20:13         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-04-20 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Apr 20 16:09:33 EDT 2014, j@margolius.co.uk wrote:
> Compatibility Mode didn't work either so I'll try what you suggested.

my experience is that ahci works better.  so if you're having
i/o errors with a sata device, it is often power mangement.

if you wanna try ahci on 9atom, that might be worth a shot.
many of the power management fixes weren't picked up.
(www.9atom.org for a link to the usb image)

- erik

* [9fans] FW:  FW:  FW:  bootsetup failure on 9legacy
@ 2014-04-21  7:16           ` Jan
From: Jan @ 2014-04-21  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've had problems with 9atom when setting any resolution above the default, 1024x768x16 for example renders a black screen with several glitched colours. All the Plan 9 based software just seems to dislike my Thinkpad.
> Compatibility Mode didn't work either so I'll try what you suggested.

my experience is that ahci works better.  so if you're having
i/o errors with a sata device, it is often power mangement.

if you wanna try ahci on 9atom, that might be worth a shot.
many of the power management fixes weren't picked up.
(www.9atom.org for a link to the usb image)

- erik

* Re: [9fans] FW:  FW:  FW:  bootsetup failure on 9legacy
@ 2014-04-21 16:55             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-04-21 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Apr 21 03:18:44 EDT 2014, j@margolius.co.uk wrote:
> I've had problems with 9atom when setting any resolution above the
> default, 1024x768x16 for example renders a black screen with several
> glitched colours.

odd.  it would be interesting to see the output of
	aux/realemu
	monitor=vesa aux/vga -p | grep mode

the most likely issues is either aux/vga has incorrectly parsed
some modes and gotten the wrong bit pattern, or the vesa bios
is wrong.  it might be worth trying the resolution you want with
different bit depths.  x8 or x32 might be worth a shot.

- erik