* [9fans] p9p acme: incredibly slow typing in tag line for file.
@ 2009-06-28  8:04 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2009-06-28  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I am unable to type at more than about one char per second (I am not
making this up) in p9p acme in the tag line for a file. Only for file
tag lines, not other tag lines, and it's all fine in the actual file
window.

This is ubuntu 9.04. Any hints welcome.

thanks

ron

* Re: [9fans] p9p acme: incredibly slow typing in tag line for file.
@ 2009-06-29  5:35 ` Jason Catena
From: Jason Catena @ 2009-06-29  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 03:04, ron minnich<rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am unable to type at more than about one char per second (I am not
> making this up) in p9p acme in the tag line for a file. Only for file
> tag lines, not other tag lines, and it's all fine in the actual file
> window.
>
> This is ubuntu 9.04. Any hints welcome.

I just pulled down the latest versions with hg, compiled, and don't
see this problem on my Ubuntu 9.04 box.  No appreciable difference in
typing rate for tags for files, directories, or shell-output windows,
or their bodies.

I have seen this kind of response time, but for the whole interface,
because I exported an X-display through VPN from Red Hat to Windows XP
with Cygwin/X.

Does the same delay occur if you write into the tag file under
/mnt/acme?  I don't actually know the source code base that well, but
it seems like it would help narrow things down if writes to the tag
file showed up faster than input from the display.

Jason Catena

* Re: [9fans] p9p acme: incredibly slow typing in tag line for file.
@ 2009-06-29 15:46 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-06-29 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The file tags tend to get redrawn in full after every
change rather than incrementally like the body does.
It has to do with the tag resize calculations, which
I haven't gotten quite right.

That said, you should be able to redraw the tag
more than once per second.  Is this with a remote
X or some other high latency connection to the
underlying graphics?

Russ

* Re: [9fans] p9p acme: incredibly slow typing in tag line for file.
@ 2009-06-29 19:53   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2009-06-29 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Russ Cox<rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> Is this with a remote
> X or some other high latency connection to the
> underlying graphics?

Right on my laptop. But ubuntu 9.04 is known to have "X issues" and I
did not know if this was another one.

@ 2009-07-14 19:46     ` Micah Stetson
From: Micah Stetson @ 2009-07-14 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> Is this with a remote
>> X or some other high latency connection to the
>> underlying graphics?
>
> Right on my laptop. But ubuntu 9.04 is known to have "X issues" and I
> did not know if this was another one.

Has anybody figured this one out?  I just updated to Ubuntu 9.04 and
I'm seeing exactly the behavior Ron describes.  Typing in a file tag
(not a column tag) takes a noticeable amount of time per character --
varying between maybe 200ms and 1000ms by my guess.  Sometimes I get
the same delay in win and directory window tags, sometimes not.  In
any case, typing in the window body is fast.  Also, resizing the acme
window takes far too long -- maybe a couple of seconds.  I think the
time is linear in the number of files I have open in acme.  Somebody
asked whether writing to acme/n/tag was slow as well -- it doesn't
look like it.  Acme's still usable, since most of my text entry is in
window bodies, but it sure is a pain.

Thanks for any help anybody has to offer,

Micah

* Fwd: [9fans] p9p acme: incredibly slow typing in tag line for file.
@ 2009-07-14 20:28       ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-07-14 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: plan9port-dev; +Cc: Ron Minnich, micah

moving to plan9port-dev.