* [9fans] dhcpd
@ 2003-04-24 17:02 David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-04-24 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Arghh!  I was looking at the dhcpd on my home computer, not
work.  I'ld mounted my home system from work to play with
something and forgot I was in that window.

The new one has my header changes.  It seems to work with both
old and new kernels here.   The new one should not have been
recompiled and stuck out there till the kernel changes
got distributed.

* Re: [9fans] dhcpd
@ 2006-07-06 13:24 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2006-07-06 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I seem to be unable to get dhcpd to offer leases annonymously,
> IE to machines not explicitly listed with their ether net addresses
> in /lib/ndb/local.
>
> I run it as:
> 	ip/dhcpd 192.186.0.32 128
> Why won't dhcpd offer my wifes mac an IP address?

I've just tried doing the same thing, and successfully set up
anonymous leases for three different cients - plan9, linux and macosx.

I'd suggest looking at the traffic with snoopy, and checking the
network configuration on the mac (DHCP, leave 'Client ID' field blank).

-- Richard

* RE: [9fans] dhcpd
@ 2006-07-06 10:15 Retzki, Sascha [Xplain]
From: Retzki, Sascha [Xplain] @ 2006-07-06 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> i read this as explicitly stating that you must have the ethernet
> (mac) address of the machine to be served an ip in ndb.
> although this would mostly defeat the purpose of dhcp, so
> maybe i'm wrong.

Depends - for naming services, this 'the same mac gets the same IP.
Always' thing is way simplier than coupling the dhcp-server with the
naming service 'somehow'. Now, you can name every terminal, every
computer, and still maintain that in one rather central database. I like
that, personally - just my 2 eurocents.

> - erik
>
> On Wed Jul  5 18:22:50 CDT 2006, steve@quintile.net wrote:
> > A cursory look at the source didn't explain it, and
> > the manual infers this should work:
> >
> > 	 DHCP requests are honored if either:
> >           - there exists an NDB entry containing both the ethernet
> >           address of the requester and an IP address on the
originat-
> >           ing network or subnetwork.
> >           - a free dynamic address exists on the originating network
> >           or subnetwork.

* Re: [9fans] dhcpd
@ 2006-07-05 23:57 ` quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-07-05 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i read this as explicitly stating that you must have the ethernet
(mac) address of the machine to be served an ip in ndb.
although this would mostly defeat the purpose of dhcp, so
maybe i'm wrong.

- erik

On Wed Jul  5 18:22:50 CDT 2006, steve@quintile.net wrote:
> A cursory look at the source didn't explain it, and
> the manual infers this should work:
>
> 	 DHCP requests are honored if either:
>           - there exists an NDB entry containing both the ethernet
>           address of the requester and an IP address on the originat-
>           ing network or subnetwork.
>           - a free dynamic address exists on the originating network
>           or subnetwork.

* [9fans] dhcpd
@ 2006-07-05 23:22 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2006-07-05 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I seem to be unable to get dhcpd to offer leases annonymously,
IE to machines not explicitly listed with their ether net addresses
in /lib/ndb/local.

I run it as:
	ip/dhcpd 192.186.0.32 128
I see the addresses listed in /lib/ndb/dhcp

My /lib/ndb/local includes a network definition:

	ipnet=colebrook ip=192.168.0.0 ipmask=255.255.255.0
		ipgw=192.168.0.1
		dns=194.168.4.100 dns=194.168.8.100
		dnsdomain=quintile.net
		nntp=news.ntlworld.com
		smtp=smtp.ntlworld.com
		ntp=gb.public.ntp.get-time.net
		authdom=home.quintile.net
		auth=felix
		cpu=felix
		fs=felix

Why won't dhcpd offer my wifes mac an IP address?

A cursory look at the source didn't explain it, and
the manual infers this should work:

	 DHCP requests are honored if either:
          - there exists an NDB entry containing both the ethernet
          address of the requester and an IP address on the originat-
          ing network or subnetwork.
          - a free dynamic address exists on the originating network
          or subnetwork.

confused

-Steve