* [9fans] What's the best Plan9 configuration with three machines
@ 2007-10-13  0:33 s t
From: s t @ 2007-10-13  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've managed to get three machines for a Plan9 setup, and with the move away
from the old file server to the new fossil/venti setup, I was wondering what
would be the best configuration to use

One of the machines will be running as a terminal, one as a cpu server, and
the other as a file server running fossil/venti

- Would the best kernel for the file server be a 9pccpuf kernel?

- How about the cpu server, would that be a 9pcauth kernel or a 9pccpu
kernel? Is it worth having a file system on the cpu server?

- Would it be best to run the authentication server on the file server?

- What's the best way to bootstrap this configuration?

Thanks
st

* Re: [9fans] What's the best Plan9 configuration with three machines
@ 2007-10-13 11:40 ` Navin Johnson
From: Navin Johnson @ 2007-10-13 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/13/07, s t <sth184@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've managed to get three machines for a Plan9 setup, and with the move away
> from the old file server to the new fossil/venti setup, I was wondering what
> would be the best configuration to use
>
> One of the machines will be running as a terminal, one as a cpu server, and
> the other as a file server running fossil/venti

I see no issue with the described layout. However, I am assuming your
requirements.

> - Would the best kernel for the file server be a 9pccpuf kernel?
>
> How about the cpu server, would that be a 9pcauth kernel or a 9pccpu kernel? is it worth > having a file system on the cpu server?

The best kernel is the one that you compiled based on your specific needs.
Ref: http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Compiling_kernels/index.html

I advise not getting caught up with naming of the kernels with any
grand expectation.The kernels provided are generic. Rather, I
recommend familiarizing yourself with each of the kernel configuration
files for better insight, and experiment. You may find more on kernel
discussions in the 9fans archives.

I recommend creating a menu for selecting a kernel when testing a
custom kernel. You can learn more boot menus by reading
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/8/plan9.ini

> - Would it be best to run the authentication server on the file server?

In my experience, it has been the simplest solution.

> - What's the best way to bootstrap this configuration?

The simplest way is to create boot floppies for your terminal and cpu
server which would access your auth/fossil server. However, another
option may be to boot via PXE.

HTH,
Navin