* [9fans] LPL
@ 2008-03-14 21:21 Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2008-03-14 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

9fans,

in 2007's gsoc I started writing o9fs, a 9p-capable virtual filesystem
for openbsd.
first I used conv* and some other pieces from Plan 9; them I decided
to rewrite based on libixp because of possible licensing problems
between LPL code and openbsd's.
now I've reread LPL and it got me thinking... can I relicense LPL code
to, say, the ISC license?

thanks,
iru

ps: o9fs license: http://gsoc.cat-v.org/hg/o9fs/file/47232d2ef4b7/LICENSE

* Re: [9fans] LPL
@ 2008-03-14 22:01 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-03-14 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> can I relicense LPL code to, say, the ISC license?

No.  Just like you can't relicense GPL'ed code to ISC,
because the ISC license does not contain all the same
restrictions that the LPL (or GPL) does.

However, the u9fs source is available under
a license which is essentially equivalent to the
ISC, and the OpenBSD guys would probably have
no problem whatsoever with it.  See
/sys/src/cmd/unix/u9fs/LICENSE

Russ

* Re: [9fans] LPL
@ 2008-03-14 22:16   ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2008-03-14 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 7:01 PM, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> > can I relicense LPL code to, say, the ISC license?
>
>  No.  Just like you can't relicense GPL'ed code to ISC,
>  because the ISC license does not contain all the same
>  restrictions that the LPL (or GPL) does.
>
>  However, the u9fs source is available under
>  a license which is essentially equivalent to the
>  ISC, and the OpenBSD guys would probably have
>  no problem whatsoever with it.  See
>  /sys/src/cmd/unix/u9fs/LICENSE

good, the pieces I wanted more are in u9fs.
thanks russ.

iru

* Re: [9fans] LPL
@ 2008-03-15  4:18   ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2008-03-15  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> No.  Just like you can't relicense GPL'ed code to ISC,
> because the ISC license does not contain all the same
> restrictions that the LPL (or GPL) does.

I'm sure I heard recently (on a NetBSD mailing list) that something
*PL was re-released with a *BSD licence?  Surely as the owner of the
code, one can alter the terms and conditions as one pleases?  I
presume one cannot operate restrospectively, but even then, if one is
lifting restrictions...

++L

* Re: [9fans] LPL
@ 2008-03-15 13:39     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-03-15 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm sure I heard recently (on a NetBSD mailing list) that something
> *PL was re-released with a *BSD licence?  Surely as the owner of the
> code, one can alter the terms and conditions as one pleases?  I
> presume one cannot operate restrospectively, but even then, if one is
> lifting restrictions...

The original poster was asking what he could do,
and he's not the owner of the code in question.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] LPL
@ 2008-03-15 13:51       ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2008-03-15 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The original poster was asking what he could do,
> and he's not the owner of the code in question.

Sorry, I missed the last point.

++L