* [9fans] german kbmap
@ 2004-11-15 18:55 Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2004-11-15 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

kbmap for german keyboards:
http://dudzus.unixcab.org/stuff/de.kbmap

* Re: [9fans] german kbmap
@ 2004-11-15 19:09 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-11-15 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> kbmap for german keyboards:
> http://dudzus.unixcab.org/stuff/de.kbmap

should we have all kbmaps submitted as patches via sources?

* Re: [9fans] german kbmap
@ 2004-11-16  1:00   ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-11-16  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> kbmap for german keyboards:
>> http://dudzus.unixcab.org/stuff/de.kbmap
>
> should we have all kbmaps submitted as patches via sources?

Or just mail it to Dave Presotto.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] german kbmap
@ 2004-11-16  1:33     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-11-16  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> > should we have all kbmaps submitted as patches via sources?
>
> Or just mail it to Dave Presotto.

it's much easier for us if you submit changes as patches.

russ

* Re: [9fans] german kbmap
@ 2004-11-16  1:46       ` Kenji Okamoto
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-11-16  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> > should we have all kbmaps submitted as patches via sources?
>>
>> Or just mail it to Dave Presotto.
>
> it's much easier for us if you submit changes as patches.

It's my opinion, and you can think another.
After saying it, I think the circumstances of Plan 9 has been changed.
I mean what is the authors motivation to write new programs.

In the past, Plan 9 was possed by Lucent, and most developping people
belong to it.   In that case, there is no problem, because Plan 9 is owned
by the company and programmers are her employees.   They are working
as a part of their business.

Now, that situations are changed much.   Plan 9 is still owned by Lucent,
but most people are purged out from it.   They are not working for Lucent,
anymore.   They have thei own works, and another employers.   In that
situation, what is the motivation of their work for Plan 9?   Of course, I know
to write better program is one of them.   However, I think it's not enough.

If the author's name is written in the source, or we rspect the original author's
work in other way, I think we can add a small portion of motivation to them.
I know it's small of course.   However, do we find anything other?

Why we work for Plan 9?   We cannot get money from it.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] german kbmap
@ 2004-11-16  2:20         ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-11-16  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> >> Or just mail it to Dave Presotto.
> >
> > it's much easier for us if you submit changes as patches.
>
> It's my opinion, and you can think another.

It's not an opinion.  If the goal is to get the files into the
distribution (I can't think of any other purpose served by
mailing a German kbmap to Dave), then it is easier for
him, and in general for all of us who maintain the
distribution, if you submit things using the patch scripts
instead of emailing files.  Patch gives us the necessary
context to understand the changes and makes it really
easy for us to apply the changes and push them out.

Russ

* [9fans] why work on plan 9 (was german kbmap)
@ 2004-11-16  2:47         ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-11-16  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Why we work for Plan 9?   We cannot get money from it.

Speaking only for myself,

I use Plan 9 because it's a good collection of tools for a lot
of the jobs I do.  I work on Plan 9 when I think it is worth
my time to make some tool even better for something I'm
doing, or to add a new tool.  A lot of the time those tools
are general enough and simple enough to have many uses,
so the work has the added benefit of making Plan 9 better
for jobs others do.

Most of the work in the past few years has been
concentrated on fixing existing tools.  For me, it's worth
spending some fraction of my time maintaining my tool box
as long as that tool box continues to provide benefits that I
couldn't get for less work elsewhere.

I have other reasons for working on Plan 9 (the sheer fun
certainly hooked me before I started using it for real work),
but the usefulness is what justifies my long-term interest.

I think this is true for many people on this list.  It's quite
nice to see the variety of people who submit bug fixes to
sources or email me fixes for the plan9ports tree.

As long as Plan 9 remains useful to people, I believe they
will keep working on it.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] german kbmap
@ 2004-11-16 10:35         ` Fco. J. Ballesteros
From: Fco. J. Ballesteros @ 2004-11-16 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Why we work for Plan 9?

It's powerful. It's easy to change for those things that might still
bother you.

* Re: [9fans] german kbmap
@ 2004-11-16 12:01           ` Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2004-11-16 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Russ Cox wrote:

> > > it's much easier for us if you submit changes as patches.

> then it is easier for
> him, and in general for all of us who maintain the
> distribution, if you submit things using the patch scripts
> instead of emailing files.

I didn't know of the patch/* tools (and the write permission to
patches/)

I did patch/create as supposed.

* Re: [9fans] german kbmap
@ 2004-11-16 12:58           ` C H Forsyth
                               ` (3 more replies)
From: C H Forsyth @ 2004-11-16 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Why we work for Plan 9?

i use plan 9 because i can get it to work.

each time i try to use linux to do something important i soon become
quite miserable.  i've now spent several days finding and installing
different Project Management packages only to find that: they've been
abandoned; they can't read back what they wrote out (and they've
been abandoned but restarted elsewhere); they've cunningly cloned MS Project
to the extent that they mess up the same way; they are quite promising but
incomplete; they have many dependencies on other packages; they would
work but i can't got the SuSe DVD here and they need more python than i
originally loaded; ...

i was better off doing it by hand.  i did find one program that would
compile and run under plan 9, so i've used that.  it has been abandoned,
but i can cope.

it was the same story for me with linux ppc, linux tv/dvd, ...

i should trade myself in as obsolete.

* Re: [9fans] german kbmap
@ 2004-11-17  1:49             ` Kenji Okamoto
                               ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-11-17  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> they've cunningly cloned MS Project
> to the extent that they mess up the same way; they are quite promising but
> incomplete; they have many dependencies on other packages;

I'm now experiencing too many of reboot in recovering T42 disks,
thanks MicroSoft for your best design of WinXP to whom to be fond of
wasting their own time. ☺   I just wanted to update to WinXP SP2...

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] german kbmap
@ 2004-11-17  1:55               ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-11-17  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> thanks MicroSoft for your best design of WinXP to whom to be fond of
> wasting their own time.

i wasted hours last night, for a mate, trying to turn on the 10/100-base-T
ethernet RJ-45 interface.  it wasn't a listed driver, all the drivers it could
find didn't work and after several hundred windows and mouse clicks
i found one checkbox that turned the damn thing on!

words fail ...

* Re: [9fans] german kbmap
@ 2004-11-17  2:16                 ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-11-17  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> find didn't work and after several hundred windows and mouse clicks
> i found one checkbox that turned the damn thing on!

We have no thick manual, because we don't need it.
Yes, we can use our unlimited time for it.   After wasting such long
time, I have learned nothing from it!   This is the most big difference
from unices which I recognized so far.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] german kbmap
@ 2004-11-17  5:23             ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2004-11-17  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i did find one program that would
> compile and run under plan 9, so i've used that.  it has been abandoned,
> but i can cope.

What's the name of it?

* Re: [9fans] german kbmap
@ 2004-11-17  7:27             ` Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2004-11-17  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> i should trade myself in as obsolete.

Plan 9 - an operating system for those who think
the grass used to be greener. Trade in your lawnmover
and get a discount.

* Re: [9fans] german kbmap
                               ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-11-27 16:00             ` fgergo
From: fgergo @ 2004-11-27 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:58:41 0000, C H Forsyth <forsyth@vitanuova.com> wrote:
> i've now spent several days finding and installing
> different Project Management packages only to find that: they've been
> abandoned; they can't read back what they wrote out (and they've
> been abandoned but restarted elsewhere)
> i was better off doing it by hand.  i did find one program that would
> compile and run under plan 9, so i've used that.  it has been abandoned,
> but i can cope.

what's the name of it?

 thanks: gergo