* [9fans] Status of 3C589D driver (and BCM57XX)
@ 2006-02-03  2:43 Lyndon Nerenberg
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-02-03  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Are there any known issues with the 3C589 driver?  I've been trying
to get a 589D PCMCIA card working on my laptop, with limited
success.  The card probes and net/ether0 appears, but I don't see any
data coming in.  The stats counters do show data being received, so
I'm a bit puzzled.

Now this could be a PCI interrupt routing issue -- a couple of odd
messages come up during the boot about IRQ5 and an unreachable south
bridge.  If the 589 driver is known to be working I'll boot the
laptop again and transcribe the relevant messages.

The laptop in question is a Dell Latitude D610, and it works
flawlessly other than not talking to the network.  The new VESA video
support is a godsend for laptop users!  I owe somebody a bottle of
single malt for implementing this.  If someone wants to update the
supported hardware list on the Wiki you can add the D610 with notes
that the onboard NIC (Broadcom 5751 gig-E) isn't supported and that
the video runs quite cheerfully in VESA mode at 1400x1050x24.  I have
started examining the FreeBSD bge driver in the hope it will make the
basis for a driver port.  (Anyone out there have a pointer to
hardware doc for the 57XX series?  I've looked in the obvious places
but can't find anything.)

--lyndon