* [9fans] webfs for servlets ?
@ 2008-07-04 20:51 Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2008-07-04 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi folks,

what do you think, does it make sensse to use webfs (or something
similar) for web servlets (eg. instead of cgi) ?

cu

 cellphone: +49 174 7066481   email: info@metux.de   skype: nekrad666

* Re: [9fans] webfs for servlets ?
@ 2008-07-04 21:02 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-07-04 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, 9fans

> Hi folks,
>
> what do you think, does it make sensse to use webfs (or something
> similar) for web servlets (eg. instead of cgi) ?

it depends entirely on your application.  if it is simple to maintain
all the state you need in the fs, i'm not sure why you'd go to the
bother.

on the other hand, if there is a lot of state and it's slow-loading,
using a fileserver (i'm not saying webfs is the right one) could
be a good deal.

i built a website with a combination.  (i'll modestly take all the
credit!) the cgi were small, fire-and-forget critters that decryped
the handle to the server state, sent an rpc to the server and built a
response page.  while our rpc wasn't 9p, it sure could -- and should
-- have been.  it would have made life much easier.

the idea is to seperate presentation and url marshalling issues from
processing.  i think php (for example) makes a big mistake by combining
the two.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] webfs for servlets ?
@ 2008-07-04 22:41 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2008-07-04 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> what do you think, does it make sensse to use webfs (or something
> similar) for web servlets (eg. instead of cgi) ?

we're working on a cgifs.  fgb is finishing it up now.  it'll be on
sources soon.  it is pretty cool.  everything can be done in rc,
including form handling.