* [9fans] Google Summer of Code
@ 2006-04-17 19:08 uriel
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: uriel @ 2006-04-17 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Where are Plan 9 and Inferno?

http://code.google.com/soc/

* Re: [9fans] Google Summer of Code
@ 2006-04-17 19:10 ` andrey mirtchovski
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2006-04-17 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

how should we know?

On Apr 17, 2006, at 1:08 PM, uriel@cat-v.org wrote:

> Where are Plan 9 and Inferno?
>
> http://code.google.com/soc/

* Re: [9fans] Google Summer of Code
@ 2006-04-17 19:21 ` Christoph Lohmann
From: Christoph Lohmann @ 2006-04-17 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Good evening.

Am Mon, 17 Apr 2006 21:08:34 +0200 schrieb uriel@cat-v.org:

> Where are Plan 9 and Inferno?
>
> http://code.google.com/soc/

The question is more, why crap.google.com does not redirect to
code.google.com.

Sincerely,

Christoph

* Re: [9fans] Google Summer of Code
@ 2006-04-17 19:48   ` uriel
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: uriel @ 2006-04-17 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The question is more, why crap.google.com does not redirect to
> code.google.com.

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Just a guess, but maybe the redirection is there but it uses AJAX, and
no remotely sane web browser (ie., mothra, charon, abaco) supports
AJAX.

Google - sending the software world back to the stone age.

My 2Ghz 1Gb RAM workstation struggles to allow me to read email with
gmail...  amazing how far backwards we can go!

After listening to rob's presentation about fault tolerance it is
depressing to see how often gmail is down.  But one must concede that
for a company that writes their code in Java, C++ and Python it is a
surprising miracle that the site loads at all.

uriel

P.S.: And I thought Microsoft Research was a dreadful brain-black hole, but
the worst was yet to come!

* Re: [9fans] Google Summer of Code
@ 2006-04-17 19:51     ` Lluís Batlle i Rossell
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lluís Batlle i Rossell @ 2006-04-17 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

uriel@cat-v.org wrote:
> After listening to rob's presentation about fault tolerance it is
> depressing to see how often gmail is down.
That, and the 'html sent emails' made me use their 'pop3s' access.

[-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature, Size: 3311 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Google Summer of Code
@ 2006-04-17 19:57       ` Bruce Ellis
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-04-17 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i agree. my slowest machine copes with gmail fine.

brucee

On 4/18/06, Tim Wiess <tim@nop.cx> wrote:
> > Google - sending the software world back to the stone age.
> >
> > My 2Ghz 1Gb RAM workstation struggles to allow me to read email with
> > gmail...  amazing how far backwards we can go!
>
>    i think your workstation has some serious unrelated issues.
>    a pII 450 i have can load gmail just fine.
>    funny how you continue to trash google, but yet you clearly
>    use their services.

* Re: [9fans] Google Summer of Code
@ 2006-04-17 20:03     ` Tim Wiess
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: Tim Wiess @ 2006-04-17 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-04-17 20:10       ` Harri Haataja
From: Harri Haataja @ 2006-04-17 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 01:03:54PM -0700, Tim Wiess wrote:
> > Google - sending the software world back to the stone age.
> > My 2Ghz 1Gb RAM workstation struggles to allow me to read email with
> > gmail...  amazing how far backwards we can go!
> i think your workstation has some serious unrelated issues.
> a pII 450 i have can load gmail just fine.

Likewise. Piii@533 and 256M ram (ecc, so I haven't thrown in just
another dimm) won't run FF fast (does anything?) but gmail runs at
tolerable pace and doesn't seem to be heavier than shuffling ordinary
web pages.

It is down a lot. My excuse for using it is testing, catching mail
from people that insist on attachments etc.

--
"What do you mean? A handgun is a standard tool for a sysadmin, isn't it?"
		-- Kurt M. Hockenbury, Scary Devil Monastery

* Re: [9fans] Google Summer of Code
@ 2006-04-17 20:21       ` uriel
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: uriel @ 2006-04-17 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Google - sending the software world back to the stone age.
>>
>> My 2Ghz 1Gb RAM workstation struggles to allow me to read email with
>> gmail...  amazing how far backwards we can go!
>
>     i think your workstation has some serious unrelated issues.
>     a pII 450 i have can load gmail just fine.

My workstation has no issues (except me being stupid and naive enough
to sometimes boot lunix instead of Plan 9), firesucks(sic) does have
many issues, though; like leaking memory faster than while(1) {
malloc(1024*1024); }

Unsurprisingly it seems that this days the core Firefox developers
work for Google; I wonder if next they will hire Miguel De Icaza,
he fits perfectly the company profile.

>     funny how you continue to trash google, but yet you clearly
>     use their services.

My apologies for trying to keep an eye in how the world outside Plan 9
looks like. I will remember to avoid making such mistakes in the
future, it surely will be good to improve my badly hurt sanity.

uriel

* Re: [9fans] Google Summer of Code
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-04-17 21:16       ` Enrique Soriano
From: Enrique Soriano @ 2006-04-17 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>     i think your workstation has some serious unrelated issues.
>     a pII 450 i have can load gmail just fine.
>     funny how you continue to trash google, but yet you clearly
>     use their services.

I usually read my gmail in my old iMac G3 300 Mhz.
It works fine for me. Do we have another bidder?

q.

* [9fans] How low can you go?
@ 2006-04-17 21:25         ` Michael Baldwin
From: Michael Baldwin @ 2006-04-17 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I usually read my gmail in my old iMac G3 300 Mhz.
> It works fine for me. Do we have another bidder?

My TRS-80 with cassette tape, running Opera's Tandy Browser works
great.  Next I'll try my KSR-33.

* Re: [9fans] How low can you go?
@ 2006-04-17 21:36           ` Christoph Lohmann
From: Christoph Lohmann @ 2006-04-17 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Good evening.

Am Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:25:16 -0400 schrieb Michael Baldwin
<michael@cibernet.com>:

> > I usually read my gmail in my old iMac G3 300 Mhz.
> > It works fine for me. Do we have another bidder?
>
> My TRS-80 with cassette tape, running Opera's Tandy Browser works
> great.  Next I'll try my KSR-33.

I've got a sheet of paper and did draw the Gmail website on it.

Sincerely,

Christoph

* Re: [9fans] How low can you go?
@ 2006-04-17 21:58             ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-04-17 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I've got a sheet of paper and did draw the Gmail website on it.

Bah!  I still collect my mail via UUCP on my laptop!  (Actually, I'm not
kidding ...)

* Re: [9fans] How low can you go?
@ 2006-04-17 22:13               ` Don Bailey
From: Don Bailey @ 2006-04-17 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] Google Summer of Code
@ 2006-04-17 22:17     ` Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2006-04-17 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>But one must concede that for a company that writes their code in Java,
>C++ and Python it is a surprising miracle that the site loads at all.
>
>uriel

Maybe you could persuade them to publish your 9load replacement on
code.google.com? The sight of some high-class code might inspire them to do
better.

* Re: [9fans] Google Summer of Code
@ 2006-04-17 22:35         ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2006-04-17 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2006/4/17, Enrique Soriano <esoriano@lsub.org>:

> >     i think your workstation has some serious unrelated issues.
> >     a pII 450 i have can load gmail just fine.
> >     funny how you continue to trash google, but yet you clearly
> >     use their services.
>
> I usually read my gmail in my old iMac G3 300 Mhz.
> It works fine for me. Do we have another bidder?
>
> q.

Yeah, I used it once just fine with Konq on an embedded Linux
platform, 206MHz SA-1110.

--Devon

@ 2006-04-17 22:37     ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2006-04-17 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4/17/06, uriel@cat-v.org <uriel@cat-v.org> wrote:
> My 2Ghz 1Gb RAM workstation struggles to allow me to read email with
> gmail...  amazing how far backwards we can go!

my 700MHz/384Mb thinkpad is quite zippy reading email with gmail.

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary

* Re: [9fans] Google Summer of Code
@ 2006-04-17 22:48         ` Lou Kamenov
From: Lou Kamenov @ 2006-04-17 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4/17/06, uriel@cat-v.org <uriel@cat-v.org> wrote:
[..]
> My apologies for trying to keep an eye in how the world outside Plan 9
> looks like. I will remember to avoid making such mistakes in the
> future, it surely will be good to improve my badly hurt sanity.

you seem to be suffering from tunnel vision.

* Re: [9fans] Google Summer of Code
@ 2006-04-17 22:57         ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2006-04-17 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4/17/06, uriel@cat-v.org <uriel@cat-v.org> wrote:
> to sometimes boot lunix instead of Plan 9), firesucks(sic) does have
> many issues, though; like leaking memory faster than while(1) {
> malloc(1024*1024); }

It's not a bug, it's a feature:

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/ben/archives/009749.html

I've heard the performance hit at
'browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers = 0' is more than tolerable,
but haven't tried it yet.

If Gmail on Firefox on Linux doesn't suffice for you, pick a solution
that does and run with it.  It seems a shame to wallow within
something you see as a problem, unless you're into that sort of
technomasochism.

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] How low can you go?
@ 2006-04-17 22:58                 ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2006-04-17 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4/17/06, Don Bailey <don.bailey@gmail.com> wrote:
> For my comcast e-mail I have to go to the local NOC and ask
> them to print out a copy of my mail spool.

Have you found that to be any more reliable? ;)

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] How low can you go?
@ 2006-04-17 23:07                   ` Don Bailey
From: Don Bailey @ 2006-04-17 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] Google Summer of Code
@ 2006-04-18  0:56         ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2006-04-18  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 10:21:28PM +0200, uriel@cat-v.org wrote:
> My apologies for trying to keep an eye in how the world outside Plan 9
> looks like. I will remember to avoid making such mistakes in the
> future, it surely will be good to improve my badly hurt sanity.

Actually, perhaps you could do us all a favor and stop posting your
observations of what the world *inside* Plan 9 looks like, and go
elsewhere.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate it.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Google Summer of Code
@ 2006-04-18  5:24 ` ems
From: ems @ 2006-04-18  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

netbsd have some nice projects:
http://www.netbsd.org/contrib/projects.html

Seems like they forgot to add 9P fs to the list. ;)

I would like to see Bell Labs getting involved but that's not my call.
On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 21:08 +0200, uriel@cat-v.org wrote:
> Where are Plan 9 and Inferno?
>
> http://code.google.com/soc/

* Re: [9fans] How low can you go?
@ 2006-04-18  9:04               ` William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2006-04-18  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

So how do you do this?
Which hardware and software is used?

On 4/17/06, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca> wrote:
> > I've got a sheet of paper and did draw the Gmail website on it.
>
> Bah!  I still collect my mail via UUCP on my laptop!  (Actually, I'm not
> kidding ...)

* Re: [9fans] How low can you go?
@ 2006-04-18 17:21                 ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-04-18 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> So how do you do this?
> Which hardware and software is used?

Taylor UUCP and sendmail, in the age old fashion. (Both ends running UNIX,
not Plan9.)

* Re: [9fans] How low can you go?
@ 2006-04-18 17:46                   ` Brantley Coile
                                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Brantley Coile @ 2006-04-18 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> So how do you do this?
>> Which hardware and software is used?
>
> Taylor UUCP and sendmail, in the age old fashion. (Both ends running UNIX,
> not Plan9.)

One of my off-the-cuff polls.  I had uucp mail in 1983.  What's the
earlist everyone had email and did it pass thru uucico?

(Last I used uucico was in 1995 when I was connected to uunet.  After
being bought by Cisco I had some sort of hard line.)

  bc

* Re: [9fans] How low can you go?
@ 2006-04-18 17:56                     ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-04-18 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

basser had a sly link to the labs well before that.

brucee

On 4/19/06, Brantley Coile <brantley@coraid.com> wrote:
> >> So how do you do this?
> >> Which hardware and software is used?
> >
> > Taylor UUCP and sendmail, in the age old fashion. (Both ends running UNIX,
> > not Plan9.)
>
> One of my off-the-cuff polls.  I had uucp mail in 1983.  What's the
> earlist everyone had email and did it pass thru uucico?
>
> (Last I used uucico was in 1995 when I was connected to uunet.  After
> being bought by Cisco I had some sort of hard line.)
>
>  bc

* Re: [9fans] How low can you go?
@ 2006-04-18 18:09                     ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-04-18 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> One of my off-the-cuff polls.  I had uucp mail in 1983.  What's the
> earlist everyone had email

1981, MTS on the Amdahl at the U of Alberta (UALTAMTS.BITNET).

> and did it pass thru uucico?

Not originally.  When the $MESS command was implemented, all non-BITNET
mail was gatewayed through 'alberta'.  I think this was circa 1983.  I
didn't run native UUCP until 1984.

I also had the misfortune of bringing up UREP on a Sun 3/160 to implement
the last node added to BITNET in Canada (ATHA.BITNET).

--lyndon

* Re: [9fans] How low can you go?
@ 2006-04-18 18:50                   ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2006-04-18 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Taylor UUCP and sendmail, in the age old fashion. (Both ends running UNIX,
> not Plan9.)

Make that a double, I do the same.

++L

* Re: [9fans] How low can you go?
@ 2006-04-18 21:03                       ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2006-04-18 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 12:09:02PM -0600, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> [...] I didn't run native UUCP until 1984.

Was big brother involved?

> I also had the misfortune of bringing up UREP on a Sun 3/160 to implement
> the last node added to BITNET in Canada (ATHA.BITNET).

The author of UREP could certainly have qualified as big brother.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] How low can you go?
@ 2006-04-19 10:19                         ` Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2006-04-19 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> The author of UREP could certainly have qualified as big brother.

I knew Bob Owens well (he was my undergrad advisor at Penn State).

He was quite a character--he managed to rub many people the wrong
way, but he was also very generous.  JNET, which was big-bucks
commercial RSCS emulation software for VMS, was written from
the UREP code base--as I recall, he gave it to the JNET authors
because they asked him nicely.

He was quite a hacker.  His coding style seemed inexplicably alien
until you realized it was designed around his severe dyslexia.

AT&T donated a pile of 3B2's to the CS department.  They were
running some stuffy System III Unix including a frightening
thing called 3Bnet.  But they came with Blit (5620) terminals,
and somehow the host-side software ran on BSD on our Vax.  I
don't remember whether the first mouse I used was a Sun optical
mouse or the Depraz on the Blit.  Boy, those buttons were nice.

Dave Eckhardt

* Re: [9fans] How low can you go?
@ 2006-04-19 12:16                     ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2006-04-19 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Brantley Coile wrote:

> One of my off-the-cuff polls.  I had uucp mail in 1983.  What's the
> earlist everyone had email and did it pass thru uucico?

I was providing email to consumers on an isolated VAX in 1981, if that
counts. It came with the world's first online encyclopedia.

--
Wes Kussmaul
CIO

781-647-7178

My uncle likes to say that the world’s biggest troubles started when the
serpent said, “Try this fruit, and by the way if a bunch of people
collectively calling themselves Arthur Andersen signs something it’s the
same as if a person named Arthur Andersen signed it.” I don’t get the
serpent and fruit part. Must be some Swiss mythology thing. He can be a
bit obscure.

                          P.K. Iggy
                          _How I Like Fixed The Internet_
                            (Tales from the Great Infodepression of 2009
                            and the prosperity that followed)

@ 2006-04-19 14:07 ` Rian Hunter
From: Rian Hunter @ 2006-04-19 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

If this is a call for ideas, it would be great to see Plan 9 booting
on a new world Mac PowerPC. It would also be great for it to boot on
the new EFI x86 Macs too.

Actually if I could have two mentors (one with some knowledge about
bootstrapping macs and one with some knowledge about bootstrapping
plan9) I could take this project on (maybe not the x86 part).

Rian

@ 2006-04-19 14:27       ` Paweł Lasek
From: Paweł Lasek @ 2006-04-19 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4/18/06, Christopher Nielsen <cnielsen@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 4/17/06, uriel@cat-v.org <uriel@cat-v.org> wrote:
> > My 2Ghz 1Gb RAM workstation struggles to allow me to read email with
> > gmail...  amazing how far backwards we can go!
>
> my 700MHz/384Mb thinkpad is quite zippy reading email with gmail.

Gmail works more than better with a recent version links, which works
perfectly fine even on very old equipment

--
Paul Lasek