* [9fans] Release CD-ROM won't boot
@ 2012-08-17 10:30 Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2012-08-17 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I haven't checked all possibilities, but perhaps someone here has a
quick fix.

I'm trying to boot a Plan 9 ISO image from a few weeks back (date
indeterminate, right now) under VMware ESXi, but it seems to jam at
the "PBSR...I" prompt (text cursor on the following line).  I tried
both the primary and the secondary masters for the virtual CD Drive.

Sadly, there are many errors in the Venti arenas and they don't look
as if they can be fixed, so I'm resorting to a re-install, if I can
get that right, it is an expendable VM, but I'd like to deploy it in a
more productive role..

I'm 1300 km aways from the server, incidentally.

Also, the CD root seems to be Jul 17, 10:00.  The disk images mounts
OK and seems healthy.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Release CD-ROM won't boot
@ 2012-08-17 11:05 ` iainws
From: iainws @ 2012-08-17 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Friday, 17 August 2012 20:30:47 UTC+10, Lucio De Re  wrote:
> I haven't checked all possibilities, but perhaps someone here has a
>
> quick fix.
>

> I'm trying to boot a Plan 9 ISO image from a few weeks back (date
>
> indeterminate, right now) under VMware ESXi, but it seems to jam at
>
> the "PBSR...I" prompt (text cursor on the following line).  I tried
>
> both the primary and the secondary masters for the virtual CD Drive.
>

> Sadly, there are many errors in the Venti arenas and they don't look
>
> as if they can be fixed, so I'm resorting to a re-install, if I can
>
> get that right, it is an expendable VM, but I'd like to deploy it in a
>
> more productive role..
>

> I'm 1300 km aways from the server, incidentally.
>

> Also, the CD root seems to be Jul 17, 10:00.  The disk images mounts
>
> OK and seems healthy.
>

> ++L

I suggest not using VMware for the installation, but Virtual Box https://www.virtualbox.org/ instead; I've had no issues with installation, and it can be configured quickly.

If you decide to use this method then be sure to configure your net connection to Intel PRO/1000 MT Server (82545EM)

Follow instructions from here: http://plan9docs.wordpress.com/2012/05/05/installing-plan-9-on-virtualbox/

* Re: [9fans] Release CD-ROM won't boot
@ 2012-08-17 11:57   ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2012-08-17 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I suggest not using VMware for the installation, but Virtual Box
> https://www.virtualbox.org/ instead; I've had no issues with
> installation, and it can be configured quickly.

You missed the bit about being 1400 km from the host :-) I'm not sure
about SCSI disk errors that seem to be popping up; everything else
about ESXi seems OK with me.

@ 2012-08-17 15:23 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-08-17 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, 9fans

> I'm 1300 km aways from the server, incidentally.

the not-so-virtual virtual machine?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Release CD-ROM won't boot
@ 2012-08-18 14:08   ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2012-08-18 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> I'm 1300 km aways from the server, incidentally.
>
> the not-so-virtual virtual machine?

No, the physical hardware, co-hosted in Cape Town.  Changing the
underlying virtualiser would be quite a mission from my current
location.  I am going to upload an atom ISO image, though, if you
(Erik) point me to the smallest, recent version you have handy :-)

@ 2012-08-18 14:26     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-08-18 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, 9fans

> No, the physical hardware, co-hosted in Cape Town.  Changing the
> underlying virtualiser would be quite a mission from my current
> location.  I am going to upload an atom ISO image, though, if you
> (Erik) point me to the smallest, recent version you have handy :-)

http://ftp.quanstro.net/other/9atom.iso.bz2.

the kernels are also in the same directory.

	9pc.gz 9pccd.gz 9pccpu.dbg.gz 9pccpu.gz 9pccpuf.gz 9pcdisk.gz 9pcf.gz 9pcflop.gz

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Release CD-ROM won't boot
@ 2012-08-18 14:37       ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2012-08-18 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> http://ftp.quanstro.net/other/9atom.iso.bz2.

Thank you, I'll give it a try sometimes later, let you know what I
discover...

@ 2012-08-18 14:39         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-08-18 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, 9fans

On Sat Aug 18 10:30:53 EDT 2012, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
> > http://ftp.quanstro.net/other/9atom.iso.bz2.
>
> Thank you, I'll give it a try sometimes later, let you know what I
> discover...

please use http, as ftp seems to have an issue that can cause
connection hangs, especially with os-x.

i believe i've found and fixed the problem with tcp, but it's
not up on the gateway machine yet.  i hope to do that tomorrow.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Release CD-ROM won't boot
@ 2012-08-18 15:07           ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2012-08-18 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> please use http, as ftp seems to have an issue that can cause
> connection hangs, especially with os-x.

No problem, although I'm likely to do this from a Plan 9 terminal or
CPU server.  Although I presume fcp(1) isn't an option?

> i believe i've found and fixed the problem with tcp, but it's
> not up on the gateway machine yet.  i hope to do that tomorrow.

Sounds very promising, thank you for your dedication.  And looking
forward to the patches and a trouble-free(er) Plan 9 TCP stack.

++L