* [9fans] connecting venti: no route
@ 2006-12-09 12:39 Matthias Teege
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Matthias Teege @ 2006-12-09 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Moin,

I boot my Plan 9 cpu/fileserver with venti=/dev/sdC0/arenas in
plan9.ini. Now I need to store some files with vac over network and
changed the line in plan9.ini to venti=/dev/sdC0/arenas tcp!*!17034
tcp!127.1!8000. and try to reboot.

That gives me

connecting venti: no route

How do I make venti available on all network interfaces?

Many thanks
Matthias

* Re: [9fans] connecting venti: no route
@ 2006-12-09 13:09 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2006-12-09 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> changed the line in plan9.ini to venti=/dev/sdC0/arenas tcp!*!17034
> tcp!127.1!8000

In plan9.ini, venti=tcp!127.1!17034 ought to be correct.  Also, make
sure you

	ip/ipconfig loopback /dev/null 127.1

in /rc/bin/cpurc before initialising venti.  I don't think you need to
go to the same lengths as I did, but this is what I have at hand:

		if (~ $venti '') {
			loop=127.1
			ip/ipconfig loopback /dev/null $loop
			vhost=tcp!$loop
			venti=$vhost^!venti
			venti/venti -c venti.conf -B 1m -C 1m -h $vhost^!80 -I 1m -w -a $venti || {
				echo Venti startup failed: $status
				exit venti
			}
 		}

I can't vouch for plan9.ini, because I don't have access to the
equipment that uses the above, so it may even be out of date.

++L

* Re: [9fans] connecting venti: no route
@ 2006-12-09 14:22   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-12-09 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

in a similar vein, why does one need tcp to connect venti
server and client.  i tried connecting fossil to venti via il!127.1!venti.
fossil started complaining that the venti server wasn't there in just
a few minutes.

the venti manual page says
          A Venti server is accessed via an undocumented network pro-
          tocol.  [...]
but what are the requrirements on the network connection between
venti client and server?  naïvely, one would guess the lack of flow
control could be the problem.  but naïvely one would also guess that
the undocumented protocol, like 9p, is a ping-pong protocol that
doesn't need flow control.

what am i missing?

- erik

Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za> writes

@ 2006-12-09 14:38 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2006-12-09 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sounds correct to me.

The magic that parses this and sets up venti is
in /sys/src/9/boot/local.c.

I cannot see fossil started with a -h to give it a host/ip to attach to.

>From my reading of this file you may have fallen through the cracks in
the config used. I think people generally use either a combined venti and
fossil server or completely seperate machines.

I must admit I have not read the code carefully and have already opened
a bottle (its chirstmas after all) but perhaps this gives you a lead in.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] connecting venti: no route
@ 2006-12-09 16:36 ` Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2006-12-09 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Moin,
>
> I boot my Plan 9 cpu/fileserver with venti=/dev/sdC0/arenas in
> plan9.ini. Now I need to store some files with vac over network and
> changed the line in plan9.ini to venti=/dev/sdC0/arenas tcp!*!17034
> tcp!127.1!8000. and try to reboot.
>
> That gives me
>
> connecting venti: no route
>
> How do I make venti available on all network interfaces?

Perhaps venti='/dev/sdC0/arenas tcp!*!17034'?

Heiko

* Re: [9fans] connecting venti: no route
@ 2006-12-09 19:16   ` Georg Lehner
From: Georg Lehner @ 2006-12-09 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Steve Simon" <steve@quintile.net> writes:

> Sounds correct to me.
>
> The magic that parses this and sets up venti is
> in /sys/src/9/boot/local.c.
>
> I cannot see fossil started with a -h to give it a host/ip to attach to.

casually I needed to connect fossil to a hand started venti for some
repair work.

The environment variable 'venti' holds the 'net!host!port'
information, but you can also specify the venti host on the fossil
console with "fsys <name> venti <net!host!port>'

If dns is not running you may need to specify the ip and port
numerically.

I guess you will find fossil beeing started up with the -f switch, it
will read in its configuration from there.  Adapting the respective
'fsys <main> venti' command there is a way to get another venti.

Variables defined in plan9.ini become env variables, my plan9.ini's
have a "venti=..." line for all computers running venti.

Regards

    Jorge-León

* Re: [9fans] connecting venti: no route
@ 2006-12-09 22:41     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-12-09 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

,s:dns:ndb:g