* [9fans] Authenticated mounts from non-plan9 systems
@ 2007-10-30 11:05 johnny
From: johnny @ 2007-10-30 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi eveyone!
I've been a fan of plan9 for quite a while, using it whenever I had a machine that would run it.
Now I have a small network of machines at home, with one plan9 auth+cpu+fs server (yeah, I know that's not much, but I don't have any more hardware that would run it).
I'd like to be able to mount the exports on that machine to other machines (mostly linux): I've been able to get a non-authenticated mount via p9p, but I can't seem to be able to get an authenticated mount. srv says there is no authentication needed. I was wondering if this was a p9p limitation or wether my cpu+auth+fs server was missing something, or if I was doing something wrong.
Here is how I am mounting it right now:
$ srv -a sorosj.hd.free.fr
rx: exportfs: authentication not required

so there is no authentication, though I can do
$ 9 mount `namespace`/sorosj.hd.free.fr /tmp/tmp

and then I can see my root, but I can't write to it. This is regardless of wether I supply mount with authentication parameters or not (eg. -o user=$USER,....,proto=UNIX )
Any help would be greatly appreaciated.
Thanks!
Johnny

* Re: [9fans] Authenticated mounts from non-plan9 systems
@ 2007-10-30 13:44 ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2007-10-30 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/30/07, johnny@sorosj.hd.free.fr <johnny@sorosj.hd.free.fr> wrote:
> Hi eveyone!
> I've been a fan of plan9 for quite a while, using it whenever I had a machine that would run it.
> Now I have a small network of machines at home, with one plan9 auth+cpu+fs server (yeah, I know that's not much, but I don't have any more hardware that would run it).
> I'd like to be able to mount the exports on that machine to other machines (mostly linux): I've been able to get a non-authenticated mount via p9p, but I can't seem to be able to get an authenticated mount. srv says there is no authentication needed. I was wondering if this was a p9p limitation or wether my cpu+auth+fs server was missing something, or if I was doing something wrong.
> Here is how I am mounting it right now:
> $ srv -a sorosj.hd.free.fr
> rx: exportfs: authentication not required
>
> so there is no authentication, though I can do
> $ 9 mount `namespace`/sorosj.hd.free.fr /tmp/tmp
>
> and then I can see my root, but I can't write to it. This is regardless of wether I supply mount with authentication parameters or not (eg. -o user=$USER,....,proto=UNIX )
> Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

If this is using v9fs under the hood, I believe you'll need to supply
uid/gid parameters as well as authentication.  Non-9p2000.u mounts
(ie. mounting p9p apps or plan9) don't have uid mapping.

Otherwise turn on debug (-o debug=0xff) and send a trace to
v9fs-developer and we'll see if can figure out what is going on.

           -eric

* Re: [9fans] Authenticated mounts from non-plan9 systems
@ 2007-10-30 14:08 ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2007-10-30 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

How are you exporting things from you Plan 9 system? It doesn't sound
to me like your server is expecting authentication, as if you're
running exportfs without -a.

* Re: [9fans] Authenticated mounts from non-plan9 systems
@ 2007-10-31  9:54   ` johnny
From: johnny @ 2007-10-31  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Well, I think the problem is that srv tells me that authentication is not required, for the mount line, it doesn't matter what options I give mount.
Cheers

* Re: [9fans] Authenticated mounts from non-plan9 systems
@ 2007-10-31  9:55   ` johnny
From: johnny @ 2007-10-31  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am not sure where it is I should be running it, but my guess is it's somewhere in /rc/bin/service or service.auth, I'll look into it, I have a feeling that this is going to be the key.

@ 2007-10-31 10:05     ` johnny
From: johnny @ 2007-10-31 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Well, I tried to find the place where exportfs should go, I did
grep exportfs *
in /rc/bin/services, this found 4 matches, 2 of which are il and disabled, the two other are tcp17007 (cpu, iirc), and tcp564.
tcp17007:exec /bin/exportfs -a -A $netdir
tcp564:exec /bin/exportfs -s
So I guess /rc/bin/service/tcp564 (9fs) should be
exec /bin/exportfs -s -a
?

Cheers

@ 2007-10-31 11:15       ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-10-31 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Well, I tried to find the place where exportfs should go, I did
> grep exportfs *
> in /rc/bin/services, this found 4 matches, 2 of which are il and disabled, the two other are tcp17007 (cpu, iirc), and tcp564.
> tcp17007:exec /bin/exportfs -a -A $netdir
> tcp564:exec /bin/exportfs -s
> So I guess /rc/bin/service/tcp564 (9fs) should be
> exec /bin/exportfs -s -a

Actually I don't believe there are any flags you can give
to exportfs that will make it authenticate during 9p using
Tauth/Rauth.  Exportfs -a will run authentication before
starting 9P, not during 9P.  This has the added benefit of
establishing a shared secret that will be used to encrypt
the connection with SSL.

If you want authentication during 9P, your best bet is
probably to use the fossil console `listen' command
to make fossil announce to the network directly.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Authenticated mounts from non-plan9 systems
@ 2007-10-31 11:18         ` johnny
From: johnny @ 2007-10-31 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Ah okay, I understand.
So I should add a listen command to the fossil config, I guess?
Thanks!
Johnny

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3113 bytes --]

From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@swtch.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Authenticated mounts from non-plan9 systems
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 07:15:10 -0400