* [9fans] kenfs (look ma, no disks)
@ 2007-09-09 16:03 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-09-09 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i've been working on kenfs as we needed a way to have
automatic offsite backup.  i am using aoe to do the offsite
bit so theoretically, one could have a kenfs with no disks.
i've also rewritten the marvell sata driver, added the intel
ahci driver, revamped mmu code.  finally, i have a slight
change to the on-disk layout of the c part of the cw that
results in a 20x speed improvement.  (this change can be
used on old fses if you dump and then recover using
the new code.)  i've also implemented a new compile-time
option "fastworm" that inhibits copying from the worm to
the cache.

my current testing setup is

	filsys main cp(a0)0.10{a1e99.0[e64.<0-3>]}

where

	dev	driver	target
	a?	ahci
	e99.0	aoe	sr421
	e64.?	aoe	pata shelf accessed over wireless link.

if you have any interest in this, please drop me a note
with the hardware you're using and i'll figure out how
to arrange access.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] kenfs (look ma, no disks)
@ 2007-09-09 16:09 ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2007-09-09 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Any chance this could live in sources? Even if kenfs is not part of
the distribution anymore, it would be nice to have 'unofficial' place
where people who still want it can find the latest version.

uriel

@ 2007-09-09 16:21   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-09-09 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Any chance this could live in sources? Even if kenfs is not part of
> the distribution anymore, it would be nice to have 'unofficial' place
> where people who still want it can find the latest version.
>
> uriel

that's the eventual goal.  i've made a number of changes.  i'd like to
have a way to track how (or if) the new version is being used.

- erik