* [9fans] keys broken after reboot?
@ 2007-07-05 13:55 Matthias Bauer
From: Matthias Bauer @ 2007-07-05 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi all,
what could be the cause of the following phenomenon:
After every reboot my CPU server cannot authenticate
anybody. auth/debug shows that the authsrv "does not
agree" or has wrong tickets. After wrkey, changeuser,
reboot, it works again.

Best regards,

Matthias

* Re: [9fans] keys broken after reboot?
@ 2007-07-05 14:02 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-07-05 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Hi all,
> what could be the cause of the following phenomenon:
> After every reboot my CPU server cannot authenticate
> anybody. auth/debug shows that the authsrv "does not
> agree" or has wrong tickets. After wrkey, changeuser,
> reboot, it works again.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Matthias

i'm not sure i follow.  sorry to be pedantic, but...

you say that after every reboot you are unable to authenticate,
but your fix includes a reboot which would mean that sometimes
after a reboot, things work.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] keys broken after reboot?
@ 2007-07-05 15:35   ` Matthias Bauer
From: Matthias Bauer @ 2007-07-05 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 10:02:04AM -0400, erik quanstrom wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > what could be the cause of the following phenomenon:
> > After every reboot my CPU server cannot authenticate
> > anybody. auth/debug shows that the authsrv "does not
> > agree" or has wrong tickets. After wrkey, changeuser,
> > reboot, it works again.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Matthias
>
> i'm not sure i follow.  sorry to be pedantic, but...
>
> you say that after every reboot you are unable to authenticate,
> but your fix includes a reboot which would mean that sometimes
> after a reboot, things work.

You're right of course.

It seems I shut down the cpu/auth server without fshalt,
resulting in problems already discussed here
(http://marc.info/?l=9fans&m=117802427310068&w=2).
I will try the fix suggested there.

Sorry for the noise,

@ 2007-07-05 15:47     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-07-05 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

this is a gotcha with a standalone setup.  it's not supposed to
be that easy to confuse the fs.

if you can at all swing a stand-alone fileserver, you'll really
be glad you did.  ken's fileserver will run on old pIII and pII
hardware that current cpu kernels have trouble with.  at home
i have a $150 (with shipping) va research blue light special^w^w^w
440gx-based 450Mhz pIII coppermine machine.  occasionally
i knock my auth server over.  the fs and my termnal could care less.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] keys broken after reboot?
@ 2007-07-05 16:49       ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2007-07-05 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 7/5/07, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
> i have a $150 (with shipping) va research blue light special^w^w^w

I've often wondered just how inexpensively you could put together a
reasonable Plan 9 network.

At work, we're buying $150 thin clients from Devon IT (
http://www.devonit.com/ ), the NTA 6020P.  PXE booting, no disk.  I
think the only moving part is the fan.  One of these weeks I'll see if
all the hardware is supported by Plan 9.

The other models use, I believe, flash drives that appear as IDE
devices.  A half-gig of flash and there's an auth server with one
moving part, for something under $300.  So now fileserver.

Ideally, it would be nice to do something similar and just attach it
to a storage array, either directly or indirectly.  So, maybe another
box just like the auth server and a handful of Coraid EtherDrive eval
kits?

So, maybe three boxes at, say, $750 total, maybe another $150 for a
monitor, keyboard and mouse.  We need some crappy 8-port switch for
$50.  Let's continue the dirt cheap theme and go a couple of 80 GB
drives striped for the bulk of the filesystem and a 200 GB drive for
the venti arenas for $200 in drives.  So, we're looking at a
relatively slow but relatively proper Plan 9 network for about $1,250
plus the eval kits (which Erik and Brantley will smuggle out for us),
plus another $300 per node, without recycling any used gear.  Assuming
you could survive on an 800 MHz terminal.

Leveraging used gear, you could probably pick up dying Dell PII/PIII
laptops for $150 a pop easy and start from there.  Plus, laptops have
their own UPSes and come pre-dropped.  ;)

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] keys broken after reboot?
@ 2007-07-05 16:51         ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2007-07-05 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 7/5/07, Jack Johnson <knapjack@gmail.com> wrote:
> plus another $300 per node

Make that per additional node, though with our three AoE disks and
three machines we're filling up our crappy 8-port switch fast.

-J

* Re: [9fans] keys broken after reboot?
@ 2007-07-05 17:14         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-07-05 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)