* Re: [9fans] factotum and Windows?
@ 2002-11-26 20:28 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-26 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> A while back there was a mention of porting
> factotum to Windows. Is it an active project?

i don't know of anyone at the labs doing it.
(i can't speak for hangar 18, of course.)

the hard part is integration with other applications,
especially since there's no available source for most
of the interesting ones.

russ

* Re: [9fans] factotum and Windows?
@ 2002-11-27 13:58 ` david presotto
From: david presotto @ 2002-11-27 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Not quite yet.
From: Eric Grosse @ 2002-11-26 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> From: "Skip Tavakkolian" <fst@centurytel.net>
> I checked the archives, and i think ehg mentioned it.

There seem to be enough hooks and layers in Windows to get
most of the job done without touching applications.

I've been silent because I'm now doing this for an internal
customer.  There are many possible approaches in Windows and no
obviously best one, so it's not a waste of effort to have a few
independent efforts around the world.

Eric

* Re: [9fans] factotum and Windows?
@ 2002-11-26 21:02 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-26 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I checked the archives, and i think ehg mentioned it.
>
> Can Windows provide the same guarantees that are made by the new Plan9
> facilities mentioned in the paper?

if you mean the protected process memory,
yes, i heard windows has a similar feature.

of course, whether either system actually
delivers on the guarantee is up in the air.
i'm more inclined to trust the plan 9 implementation,
but only because i can look at it.

* Re: [9fans] factotum and Windows?
@ 2002-11-26 18:11 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2002-11-26 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i don't know of anyone at the labs doing it.
> (i can't speak for hangar 18, of course.)
>
> the hard part is integration with other applications,
> especially since there's no available source for most
> of the interesting ones.

I checked the archives, and i think ehg mentioned it.

Can Windows provide the same guarantees that are made by the new Plan9
facilities mentioned in the paper?

* [9fans] factotum and Windows?
@ 2002-11-26 15:22 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2002-11-26 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)