* [9fans] Newbie
@ 2004-03-03 18:19 philo
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: philo @ 2004-03-03 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm not a programmer...just an experimenter.

Got it installed and running (locally) yesterday...

what next? (I don't feel like spending $150 for the manual)

Philo

* Re: [9fans] Newbie
@ 2004-03-03 18:33 ` andrey mirtchovski
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-03-03 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm not a programmer...just an experimenter.
>
> Got it installed and running (locally) yesterday...
>
> what next? (I don't feel like spending $150 for the manual)
>
> Philo

browse the web, play some music, watch a movie or two, play some
games...

:)

* Re: [9fans] Newbie
@ 2004-03-03 18:50 ` Sam
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Sam @ 2004-03-03 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

1) Right click on background and select new.
2) Click and hold right mouse button at top left of screen.
3) Sweep down to bottom right of screen.
4) Release right mouse button.
5) Type: man intro
6) Press enter.
7) read.
8) press down arrow.
9) goto 7

Further instructions upon completion.  As proof of
such, I will expect you to tell me where the 'copies
of papers referenced in this manual' are stored
in the filesystem.  Yes, the quote is a hint.

Oh - be careful not to get stuck in the endless loop
above.

Good luck,

Sam

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004,
philo wrote:

> I'm not a programmer...just an experimenter.
>
> Got it installed and running (locally) yesterday...
>
> what next? (I don't feel like spending $150 for the manual)
>
> Philo

* Re: [9fans] Newbie
@ 2004-03-03 18:58 ` Greg Pavelcak
From: Greg Pavelcak @ 2004-03-03 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 06:19:55PM +0000, philo wrote:
> I'm not a programmer...just an experimenter.
>
> Got it installed and running (locally) yesterday...
>
> what next? (I don't feel like spending $150 for the manual)
>
> Philo

Hello fellow newbie.

Go into /sys/doc and start reading. Some of the Plan 9 docs are
pretty esoteric, but they still make a good read.

Frequent the Plan 9 web page. I don't have the address, but if you
google for plan9 you'll get there.

Once there, explore every link. Especially do frequent googling of
comp.os.plan9 as questions arise.

I hope I'll soon be knowledgeable enough to answer questions beyond
pointing to docs, but there's a start.

I think you'll find Plan 9 addictive. I am a long time FreeBSD user,
in particular vi (well vim) and several different window managers,
mostly icewm; but once I tried Plan 9, I kept finding myself
myseriously drawn back to it. Acme does that to you. And, even
though I'm not a programmer either, I just have a sense that it's a
more elegant system.

Finally, you've obviously already found this list. I've found the
people here quite helpful. A little quirky, but helpful. One of the
things that drew me to FreeBSD in the first place was that when I,
an ordinary user, posted questions, I found I was getting answers
from people who are actually writing the code! That's true here too.

Good luck.

Greg

* Re: [9fans] Newbie
@ 2004-03-03 19:11   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-03-03 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> mostly icewm; but once I tried Plan 9, I kept finding myself
> myseriously drawn back to it. Acme does that to you. And, even
> though I'm not a programmer either, I just have a sense that it's a
> more elegant system.

it's rio's color palette that does it -- scientifically proven to put
you in a more relaxed, zen state.

things like web browsing, movies, music and IM can be abstracted (when
and if they arrive) in a rio window and not impair the overall feel of
the system.  just keep the window small.  there's a reason why links
stores its configuration files in /tmp.

andrey

* [9fans] Re: Newbie
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-03-04 10:14 ` philo
From: philo @ 2004-03-04 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm not a programmer...just an experimenter.

I made a few replies earlier...but non have showed up.
at any rate   i did find the  intro

/sys/man/

and between that and what's on the web pages i will have a lot to read...
but so far have not actually gotten Plan 9 "on line"

i'll keep poking around with it

thanks

Philo

* Re: [9fans] Newbie
@ 2004-03-04 10:15   ` philo
From: philo @ 2004-03-04 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Sam" <sah@softcardsystems.com> wrote in message
> 1) Right click on background and select new.
> 2) Click and hold right mouse button at top left of screen.
> 3) Sweep down to bottom right of screen.
> 4) Release right mouse button.
> 5) Type: man intro
> 6) Press enter.
> 7) read.
> 8) press down arrow.
> 9) goto 7
>
> Further instructions upon completion.  As proof of
> such, I will expect you to tell me where the 'copies
> of papers referenced in this manual' are stored
> in the filesystem.  Yes, the quote is a hint.

thanks for the reply...
and  the intro sure looks like a good place to start...
but i don't know what you mean by "copies of papers referenced in this
manual"
means

section 7 merely said: introduction to data bases

or did you mean that you wanted me to tell your that  "man" was found
in /sys  ????

i have worked a little bit with linux...
but this looks like a whole new world to me

Philo

* Re: [9fans] Newbie
@ 2004-03-04 10:15   ` philo
From: philo @ 2004-03-04 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Greg Pavelcak" <g.pavelcak@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 06:19:55PM +0000, philo wrote:
> > I'm not a programmer...just an experimenter.
> >
> > Got it installed and running (locally) yesterday...
> >
> > what next? (I don't feel like spending $150 for the manual)
> >
> > Philo
> >
> Hello fellow newbie.
>
> Go into /sys/doc and start reading. Some of the Plan 9 docs are
> pretty esoteric, but they still make a good read.
>
> Frequent the Plan 9 web page. I don't have the address, but if you
> google for plan9 you'll get there.
>
> Once there, explore every link. Especially do frequent googling of
> comp.os.plan9 as questions arise.
>
> I hope I'll soon be knowledgeable enough to answer questions beyond
> pointing to docs, but there's a start.
>
> I think you'll find Plan 9 addictive. I am a long time FreeBSD user,
> in particular vi (well vim) and several different window managers,
> mostly icewm; but once I tried Plan 9, I kept finding myself
> myseriously drawn back to it. Acme does that to you. And, even
> though I'm not a programmer either, I just have a sense that it's a
> more elegant system.
>
> Finally, you've obviously already found this list. I've found the
> people here quite helpful. A little quirky, but helpful. One of the
> things that drew me to FreeBSD in the first place was that when I,
> an ordinary user, posted questions, I found I was getting answers
> from people who are actually writing the code! That's true here too.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Greg

Thanks for the reply...and yes.... I know where the web page is...
but I will have to start reading the docs...

I am a late comer to the world of computers but have been trying to
make up for it by at least seeing what there is to all the OS's out there.
I've got a whole shelf full of removable drives and have fooled around with
Linux and FreeBSD...plus os/2 & ECS...
but have only just within the past couple of days found out about Plan 9
so expect it will take me a while to figure out the first  0.1% of it all!

* Re: [9fans] Newbie
@ 2004-03-04 10:15     ` philo
From: philo @ 2004-03-04 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"andrey mirtchovski" <mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> wrote in message
> > mostly icewm; but once I tried Plan 9, I kept finding myself
> > myseriously drawn back to it. Acme does that to you. And, even
> > though I'm not a programmer either, I just have a sense that it's a
> > more elegant system.
>
> it's rio's color palette that does it -- scientifically proven to put
> you in a more relaxed, zen state.
>
> things like web browsing, movies, music and IM can be abstracted (when
> and if they arrive) in a rio window and not impair the overall feel of
> the system.  just keep the window small.  there's a reason why links
> stores its configuration files in /tmp.
>
> andrey

well i;ve gotten to rio

but am just running Plan 9 locally...
i guess i need to figure out what to do to put it "on-line"

thanks

Philo

* Re: [9fans] Re: Newbie
@ 2004-03-04 10:43   ` matt
From: matt @ 2004-03-04 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hello and welcome

try this one

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Network_configuration/index.html

* Re: [9fans] Newbie
@ 2004-03-04 13:06     ` a
From: a @ 2004-03-04 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

// i have worked a little bit with linux...
// but this looks like a whole new world to me

well, that's a good start then! it *is* a whole new world. there's an
initial learning cliff that can be rough, but i certainly think it's
worth it.

the system really starts getting more interesting when you can get on
a network, as you no doubt suspect. ftpfs is the canonical example of
the power of namespaces and user-level file systems, but it's become
somewhat ho-hum (from a user's point of view) since unix and win32
have thing that are (functionally) very similar. instead, maybe take
a look at /n/sources (`cat /bin/9fs` to see what's going on) and the
dumps as a nice alternative to CVS for live code distribution.

look at running rio inside a rio window, and compare with xnest. take
a walk around /rc/bin and cat some things - that can be very
educational.

read some of the papers in /sys/doc. all are good in their way, but
i've found 9, acme, auth, names, net, plumb, port, and utf to be
particularly informative while still being accessable to new users.

the big things that hooked me on the system, coming from the unix
world, were dumps and /lib/ndb. then rc and cpu.
ア

* [9fans] Re: Newbie
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-03-05  9:59 ` philo
From: philo @ 2004-03-05  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks for all the replies...
looks like I have a lot of reading to do!

* Re: [9fans] Newbie
@ 2004-03-05 10:00       ` Dave Cummings
From: Dave Cummings @ 2004-03-05 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i think it was meant as goto step 7 again (read) seems one can never do
that enough here :-)

* Re: [9fans] Newbie
@ 2004-03-05 10:28         ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2004-03-05 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it's meant to stop you finding the bugs, because you're spending
your time reading.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2054 bytes --]

From: Dave Cummings <murrayclimbs@yahoo.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Newbie
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 10:00:08 GMT

@ 2004-03-05 11:49         ` philo
From: philo @ 2004-03-05 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Dave Cummings" <murrayclimbs@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> i think it was meant as goto step 7 again (read) seems one can never do
> that enough here :-)

aah yes...

well i shall be continuing my reading and poking around...
but so far i find the whole thing rather fascinating.

Plan 9 has a few features that i can only describe as:
"so obviously correct, that no one has ever thought of them before!" <g>

* Re: [9fans] Newbie
@ 2002-09-09 14:00 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-09 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Check the FAQ first, of course, but ask away.
There's no reason not to do it on the list --
then others will be able to find the questions
and answers in the archives.

* [9fans] Newbie
@ 2002-09-09  9:50 John Reagan
From: John Reagan @ 2002-09-09  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,
   Would anyone be willing to answer a few beginner questions for me, before
I download Plan9?  The install seems fairly straight forward.  I have
questions about the file system, libraries, stuff like that.  Any info is
much appreciated.
J. Reagan