* [9fans] acme crash recovery
@ 2006-08-06 15:59 Sascha Retzki
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-08-06 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi guys,

I had to hard-reboot my machine because of hardware-issues (my mouse gone wild :/), and I did not yet Put a source-file I was working on. Now, it is empty.

I once heared about acme crash recovery, something along the lines of acme stores everything in some file or something 'on a crash'. Does that apply here? Pointers to docs?

Furthermore, this is a default-value fossil-only installation, any chances there is a dump of yesterday? 9fs dump seems to exit file, yet /n/dump/ is still empty.

This is a distress call, it was four days of work ^^

Mfg, Sascha

* Re: [9fans] acme crash recovery
@ 2006-08-07 18:15 Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-08-07 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> acme, like sam, keeps a log of changes in /tmp/*acme.  I believe that
> such a file contains enough to reconstruct acme's state when (or
> shortly before) it crashed, but I don't know of an automated means of
> doing so.

Yes, that is what fgb told me to look for, too. Thanks.

Acme possibly never got a kill-note, tho - I rebooted via Ctrl+Alt+Del. Other possibilities include that I fire up acme on startup, so maybe acme cleans up /tmp ;)

No matter which one is right, there wasn't a /tmp/$number.$useracme-file containing my sources.

I tried a grep over things like /tmp, /sys/, /acme/, /usr, etc for function-names, so I am pretty sure the source-file is gone. Next version probably contains less design flaws, I am back up in the mood to (re)write it.

> it won't do dumps if there isn't a venti to archive them, but
> try 9fs snap and see if there is anything in /n/snap.
> you might be lucky.

tried 9fs snap, too. Did not work, too.

Thanks for your time, Sascha