* [9fans] handling output
@ 2009-10-01  8:26 hugo rivera
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: hugo rivera @ 2009-10-01  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've been wondering for a while if there's some way to multiplex (if
this is the correct term) stdout for a given program:
% ls @ {grep regexp1 > file1 } @ {grep regexp2 > file2}
where @ is an operator that would copy ls stdout to two (maybe more)
different file descriptors. Probably some syntax is required
(something like @[1=3]).
I think a c program can be written to accomplish this, but I'd like to
hear your opinion about it. Am I on the right path or just talking
rubbish?
Saludos

--
Hugo

* Re: [9fans] handling output
@ 2009-10-01  8:38 ` roger peppe
From: roger peppe @ 2009-10-01  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/10/1 hugo rivera <uair00@gmail.com>:
> I've been wondering for a while if there's some way to multiplex (if
> this is the correct term) stdout for a given program:

that's what tee does.

e.g.
ls | tee >{grep regexp1 > file1} >{grep regexp2 > file2}

* Re: [9fans] handling output
@ 2009-10-01  8:44 ` Sam Watkins
From: Sam Watkins @ 2009-10-01  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'd like to make a "graphical shell" which could do this sort of thing, it
would also have a textual format for saving and suitable for editing.

I think it would be good to have an equivalent graphical tool for each command
line tool, as powerful as the original one; and an editable graphical
representation of each file format, file-based interface or protocol.

A nodes-and-arcs graph representation is already parsed and more symmetric that
a textual language.

Sam

@ 2009-10-01  8:45 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2009-10-01  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-10-01  9:09   ` hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2009-10-01  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Great, thanks.
Looks like plan 9 guys have thought about everything useful ☺ (and
that I didn't do my homework).

@ 2009-10-01  9:29     ` matt
From: matt @ 2009-10-01  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs