* Re: [9fans] RFC
@ 2002-05-17 21:30 rsc
From: rsc @ 2002-05-17 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

there were two cards in one machine.
the carreras had built-in frame buffers
and an extra vga card was added.

* Re: [9fans] RFC
@ 2002-05-17 21:38 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-05-17 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> that's 8½ then, right?
>
> am i correct in assuming we can't see any of the code?  may be a
> summer student around here or around somewhere else would be able to
> do something with it for rio...
>
> was the card dual-headed or did the student use separate computers?

It was the early version of rio.  It was done for Brazil, which had a completely
different graphics model suitable only for high-speed networks.  The code
wouldn't do you much good and anyway I never knew where it was so I
wouldn't know where to find it.  Myabe someone else here knows.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] RFC
@ 2002-05-17 20:48 jmk
From: jmk @ 2002-05-17 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri May 17 10:53:19 EDT 2002, andrey@lanl.gov wrote:
> hi,
>
> i'd like to solicit 9fans' opinion on something that came up in
> discussions here at lanl recently -- multi-monitor displays and how
> plan9 could be modified to harness their power.

We had a summer student do this a few years ago, before the 3rd
Edition if I remember correctly. I don't know how it was done, but
I recall the mouse tracked nicely from screen to screen.

The hardware involved was a Carrera with its framebuffer and a
normal VGA card plugged into the EISA bus.

--jim

* Re: [9fans] RFC
@ 2002-05-17 20:26 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-05-17 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-05-17 15:24 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-05-17 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'd love to use a side-by-side monitor as a way to enlarge my
laptop screen. For other uses, I think vnc and rio files do the
trick.

* [9fans] RFC
@ 2002-05-17 13:59 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-05-17 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi,

i'd like to solicit 9fans' opinion on something that came up in
discussions here at lanl recently -- multi-monitor displays and how
plan9 could be modified to harness their power.

the idea is to share the rio desktop between several monitors.  sounds
simple.

the default configuration that comes to mind is a dual-head graphics
card connected to two displays sitting next to each other.  or maybe
three, or four?

or how about being able to connect to several different cpu servers,
each of which has its own display configured in something like our
powerwall [http://www.acl.lanl.gov/plan9/newnetwork/images/pw115.jpg]
and presenting a single (presumably rather large) desktop?

the first that comes to mind as a way of modifying rio is to do
clipping of rectangles based on which monitor they should appear in
and then writing the images to the appropriate file in /dev/draw.
this could be hidden under a single file to which all user programs
write, with rio doing the multiplexing in the background...

what do you think?

andrey