* [9fans] replacing sources
@ 2009-09-03 21:12 geoff
From: geoff @ 2009-09-03 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I plan to replace sources with haggis (which will take the name
sources) during the afternoon of Tuesday, Sept. 8th.  I will take a
final dump of sources, shut it down, change the dns, initialise
haggis's sources fossil from source's final dump score, and bring
haggis up as the new sources.  This should yield a newer and more
reliable sources machine that is also a little easier to administer.

* Re: [9fans] replacing sources
@ 2009-09-03 21:24 ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-09-03 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks a lot for maintaining it
and for all the burden.

@ 2009-09-03 21:26   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-09-03 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Sep  3 17:25:58 EDT 2009, nemo@lsub.org wrote:
> Thanks a lot for maintaining it
> and for all the burden.

i second that.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] replacing sources
@ 2009-09-04  6:16     ` Venkatesh Srinivas
From: Venkatesh Srinivas @ 2009-09-04  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks!

How long has the current sources server been running?

-- vs

* Re: [9fans] replacing sources
@ 2009-09-04 14:56       ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2009-09-04 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The current sources server hasn't been in service for very long.
It's about the third one that I know of, and there may have
been others.  In the past, we just replaced the machines, as
they died or became unreliable, with other machines that we
already had.  Haggis is a new machine and it's using a fossil
partition on our Coraid array (with archival storage in our
venti store) instead of local disks, so it should be less prone
to failure.