* Re: [9fans] dns resolve takes long time when not on internet
@ 2002-11-09 17:52 bwc
From: bwc @ 2002-11-09 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Ah, that's it.  When I did `cpu' it used $cpu which was a full name.  Netstat used
the full name.  I don't know what `9fs dump' did.

Thanks.

 Brantley

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2038 bytes --]

From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] dns resolve takes long time when not on internet
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 18:20:44 -0500

> We powered down my homebrew port address translator to move the box
> and when we tried to bring it back up it, the bootp floppy was buggered.
> With no connection to the outside, things like cpu, 9fs dump, and netstat
> took a very long time.  I have dns -s running on our cpu server.  Was it
> trying to resolve to the root, timeout, and then look in ndb/local1?
>
> Now that the PAT box is back up, cpu only takes a second.

were you dialing with full names or just short names?
if you type "9fs emelie" you shouldn't involve dns
(unless the names aren't in your /lib/ndb files at all,
and the default suffix gets added), whereas typing
"9fs emelie.cs.bell-labs.com" will try dns first.

* Re: [9fans] dns resolve takes long time when not on internet
@ 2002-11-09 23:34 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-09 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

9fs dump usually uses /srv/boot -- no dialing
required, at least to get to the fs.  The auth server
still needs to be dialed to authenticate though.

We typically run with short names in all the auth=
and fs= etc entries in /lib/ndb so that we're not
as dependent on DNS.

* Re: [9fans] dns resolve takes long time when not on internet
@ 2002-11-09 23:20 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-09 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-11-09 17:23 bwc