* [9fans] hints on new decoders for video
@ 2008-12-10  2:07 Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2008-12-10  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Does anyone know of new projects or ports that could get H.264
decoding over to Plan 9 hosts?

I've got a project that needs to display sources form AVI wrapped H.
264 files and would like to port it over to Plan 9, not just Linux/OSX.

-jas

* Re: [9fans] hints on new decoders for video
@ 2008-12-10  7:27 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2008-12-10  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i recently needed an mpeg4-wmv live transcoder and looked at FFmpeg
briefly.

because of wmv and ASF container requirements, i ended up writing one
that uses directshow filtergraphs (obviously on windows).

@ 2008-12-11 11:50 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2008-12-11 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Does anyone know of new projects or ports that could get H.264
> decoding over to Plan 9 hosts?

I asked around here, the feeling is that VirtualDub will decode
H.264 to uncompressed AVIs in 422 or to BMPs as 444.

My only convern is that some virtual dub features may be dependent
on running on windows where it may use Windows DLLs for some of its
features (AVIs look like a good candidate for this). I honestly
don't know.

If you want to try to port some of virtual dub to do this
email me privately, I may be able to help more.

-Steve