* [9fans] Stitch and EFIS
@ 2006-02-01 11:08 uriel
From: uriel @ 2006-02-01 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I was reading in the 9fans archives of 2001 about stitch[1], any
chance whatever code exists could be released?

And I have asked before but got no answer: any chance that the EFIS
program mentioned in the "Distributed Computing With Plan 9"[2] paper by
by Sape Mullender and Dave Presotto could be released?

uriel

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.plan9/msg/1c785f11824ec0aa
[2] http://www.cs.unibo.it/ersads/tutorials/mullender.ps

* [9fans] Re: Stitch and EFIS
@ 2006-02-01 17:18 ` Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2006-02-01 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I was reading in the 9fans archives of 2001 about stitch[1],
> any chance whatever code exists could be released?

Not exactly the same thing, but it might work for your purposes,
is Chao-Kuo Lin's divergefs.  It's on the contributed software
page under "de0u" (my alter ego).

What are your purposes, BTW?  If divergefs doesn't serve, there's
a chance Chao-Kuo would be willing to move it in your direction.

Dave Eckhardt

* Re: [9fans] Re: Stitch and EFIS
@ 2006-02-02  2:08   ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-02-02  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I gave Dan Cross our 3rd edition stitch/ovfs code a while ago.  Dan,
any progress getting it running on 4e?  I know you've been busy.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Stitch and EFIS
@ 2006-02-02  6:37     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2006-02-02  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 06:08:36PM -0800, geoff@collyer.net wrote:
> I gave Dan Cross our 3rd edition stitch/ovfs code a while ago.  Dan,
> any progress getting it running on 4e?  I know you've been busy.

Sorry, negative.  I haven't had a chance to look at anything in ... months!
Too many groups and rings going through my head....

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Stitch and EFIS
@ 2006-02-02  8:28     ` uriel
From: uriel @ 2006-02-02  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I gave Dan Cross our 3rd edition stitch/ovfs code a while ago.  Dan,
> any progress getting it running on 4e?  I know you've been busy.
It would be nice if this kind of things could be put in sources so
people that might be interested has a chance of 1) finding about them
2) avoiding re-inventing the wheel.

uriel

* Re: [9fans] Re: Stitch and EFIS
@ 2006-02-02  8:33       ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-02-02  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It's been discussed on the list before, so the discussion is in the
archives.

I'd been holding off putting stitch, ovfs and ovmk somewhere public
until they were working again.  They won't compile currently, as the
thread library changed drastically after ovfs was written.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Stitch and EFIS
@ 2006-02-02  8:39         ` uriel
From: uriel @ 2006-02-02  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It's been discussed on the list before, so the discussion is in the
> archives.
Not everyone has the time to read the full 9fans archives...

> I'd been holding off putting stitch, ovfs and ovmk somewhere public
> until they were working again.  They won't compile currently, as the
> thread library changed drastically after ovfs was written.
If you put the code somewhere, who knows, maybe someone might go and
fix it!  Crazier things have been seen.

And I still want to see the code for the EFIS program.

uriel

* Re: [9fans] Re: Stitch and EFIS
@ 2006-02-02  8:45           ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-02-02  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You should be able to search the archives, even if just with grep or
google.

Somebody might fix a broken program left lying around, but it hasn't
happened often, in my experience, and it's more likely to frustrate
people when they find that it's broken.

I can't help with EFIS.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Stitch and EFIS
@ 2006-02-02 14:43         ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-02-02 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 12:33:54AM -0800, geoff@collyer.net wrote:
> It's been discussed on the list before, so the discussion is in the
> archives.
>
> I'd been holding off putting stitch, ovfs and ovmk somewhere public
> until they were working again.  They won't compile currently, as the
> thread library changed drastically after ovfs was written.

"Tag" it like in stitch_CURRENTY_BROKEN.tgz or alike [sorry if you get
this mail twice]

* Re: [9fans] Re: Stitch and EFIS
@ 2006-02-03  0:04           ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-02-03  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Alright, due to popular demand, it's now
/n/sources/contrib/geoff/ovfs.broken.tgz.  Knock yourselves out.