* [9fans] raspberry pi model B+
@ 2014-07-17 10:47 Richard Miller
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Richard Miller @ 2014-07-17 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If anyone's curious about the new raspberry pi model announced this week,
I can confirm that it runs Plan 9 with no apparent problems.  Compared to
the old model B, the B+ has some power supply improvements and two more USB
ports, which are said to make it work better with usb hard drives.

* Re: [9fans] raspberry pi model B+
@ 2014-07-17 14:51 ` Brian Vito
From: Brian Vito @ 2014-07-17 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Is there a reasonably easy way to set up Plan 9 on the raspberry pi so that
the SD card is used only to boot the system, with all actual activity after
that run off of a USB hard drive (so as to avoid hassles related to wearing
out SD cards, slow/bad SD cards, etc.)?

@ 2014-07-17 16:12   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-07-17 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brian.vito2, 9fans

On Thu Jul 17 10:53:48 EDT 2014, brian.vito2@gmail.com wrote:

> Is there a reasonably easy way to set up Plan 9 on the raspberry pi so that
> the SD card is used only to boot the system, with all actual activity after
> that run off of a USB hard drive (so as to avoid hassles related to wearing
> out SD cards, slow/bad SD cards, etc.)?

just set nobootprompt=tcp (or il if that's what you use) in cmdline.txt.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] raspberry pi model B+
@ 2014-07-17 19:13 ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2014-07-17 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 11:47:54 BST Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
> If anyone's curious about the new raspberry pi model announced this week,
> I can confirm that it runs Plan 9 with no apparent problems.  Compared to
> the old model B, the B+ has some power supply improvements and two more USB
> ports, which are said to make it work better with usb hard drives.

Indeed. Raspi: B+, 9pi: A+ : )

For USB hard drives you'll need to add

max_usb_current=1

to config.txt as the default doesn't supply enough current. I
haven't measured its power use but it is supposed to be 0.5 to
1 Watt less.

* Re: [9fans] raspberry pi model B+
@ 2014-07-21 11:29 ` kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2014-07-21 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> the B+ has some power supply improvements and two more USB
> ports, which are said to make it work better with usb hard drives.

You mean B+ may be able to use as a Plan9 file server?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] raspberry pi model B+
       [not found] <A90AD2AD-1720-438C-A6E3-FEB3EB210771@hamnavoe.com>
@ 2014-07-21 19:52 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2014-07-21 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>> the B+ has some power supply improvements and two more USB
>>> ports, which are said to make it work better with usb hard drives.
>>
>> You mean B+ may be able to use as a Plan9 file server?

It may be more reliable but I would still expect it to be slow.  I don't
have a usb hard drive so I can't give any experimental results.