* [9fans] how do you determine stacksize?
@ 2003-11-07 23:52 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-11-07 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The subject says almost it all. How do you guys
choose your values for stack size in thread(2)
programs?

I'm doing it almost at ramdom, but there must be
a better way.

thanks

* Re: [9fans] how do you determine stacksize?
@ 2003-11-10 12:14 ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-11-10 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I try to keep stuff off the stack so 4k is always fine for me.
It is a pretty sad thing to have to guess though.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1857 bytes --]

From: Fco.J.Ballesteros <nemo@plan9.escet.urjc.es>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] how do you determine stacksize?
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 00:52:08 +0100

@ 2003-11-10 14:20   ` rog
From: rog @ 2003-11-10 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'd have thought the linker would be in a good position
to make a good assessment of the stack requirements.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4195 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 113 bytes --]

I try to keep stuff off the stack so 4k is always fine for me.
It is a pretty sad thing to have to guess though.

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1857 bytes --]

From: Fco.J.Ballesteros <nemo@plan9.escet.urjc.es>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 00:52:08 +0100

@ 2003-11-10 14:24     ` Sape Mullender
From: Sape Mullender @ 2003-11-10 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i'd have thought the linker would be in a good position
> to make a good assessment of the stack requirements.

Maybe, but recursive programs will have unpredictable
calling depths.

If you don't use local arrays, 4K is almost always enough.

	Sape