* RE: [9fans] Newbie question (DHCP)
@ 2002-09-15  2:07 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-15  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There should be a section like:

# start IP on the LAN.  It's commented out to avoid a long timeout
# on startup waiting for DHCP.
#
# If your system has DHCP
#
#if(! test -e /net/ipifc/0/ctl)
#	ip/ipconfig >/dev/null >[2=1]
#
# Otherwise use
#
#if(! test -e /net/ipifc/0/ctl)
#	ip/ipconfig -g your-gateway your-ip-address your-subnet-mask >/dev/null >[2=1]

uncomment the lines

if(! test -e /net/ipifc/0/ctl)
	ip/ipconfig >/dev/null >[2=1]

and you can get rid of the >/dev/null >[2=1]
if you want to see any errors that occur.

* RE: [9fans] Newbie question (DHCP)
@ 2002-09-15  2:07 Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2002-09-15  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It's actually spelled ip/ipconfig:

; grep ipconfig /bin/termrc.v4
	ip/ipconfig >/dev/null >[2=1]
#	ip/ipconfig -g your-gateway your-ip-address your-subnet-mask >/dev/null >[2=1]

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2372 bytes --]

From: "Adrian" <adrian@tech.pcmediconsite.com>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: RE: [9fans] Newbie question (DHCP)
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 22:06:17 -0400

I dont even have an ip/config line in the file
the closest thing I have is test -e /net/ipifc/0/ctl
I don`t mean to bother you, if you have a link I should read I would be more
than
happpy to do so.

@ 2002-09-15  1:57   ` Adrian
From: Adrian @ 2002-09-15  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Found the three button emulation answer.

Thank you for your quick response. One more for now. I also am losing my
serial mouse, maybe the mouse.
I have a ps/2 mouse but it`s only two buttons. Is there three button
emulation ? Or should I just but a new three button ps/2 ?

@ 2002-09-15  1:56 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-15  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Buy a new three button ps/2.
You can use a two-button ps/2 and
simulate the middle button with shift-right-button
but it's just not the same, especially when you're
trying to use chording in rio or acme.

Russ

* RE: [9fans] Newbie question (DHCP)
@ 2002-09-15  1:50 ` Adrian

@ 2002-09-15  1:39 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-15  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You need to edit /rc/bin/termrc to uncomment
the ip/ipconfig line.  That will run dhcp on your
ethernet card at boot time.  The network config
used during the install doesn't carry over, though
it probably should.

Russ

* [9fans] Newbie question (DHCP)
@ 2002-09-15  1:37 Adrian
From: Adrian @ 2002-09-15  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I`m just getting started. I can use dhcp to install but seem to lose
my net config after boot logging in as glenda. I`m I just stupid, cause I
can`t find clear docs on initial setup proceedure.
Should I ban the manuals , or is it the same as the online docs?

Adrian