* Re: [9fans] filters and _pattern
@ 2002-12-19 14:03 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-12-19 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

At least 3 of use it, the sample pipeto was based on my pipeto
at the time.

I've changed it a bit since.  I now both bounce the mail and also
dump a copy into mbox.bounced so that I can occasionaly grep it
to look for things like viruses and stupid spam that other
people say they got that were especially funny.

I also changed it to make getting web order responses a little
easier .  Since I have a domain that I own, I can have any
number of mail adresses that go to me.  I made a pattern that
matches a class of them (e.g. x\..*).  I allow anything
mailed to x\..* to get through the filter.  Whenever I order
something on the web and they need a mail address, I always
give them something of the form x.theirdomainname.  That way,
I don't have to worry about turning them on for the reply.
If that name starts getting used by spammers I end up knowing
both who is selling their lists and can turn that destination
address off.  To the web's credit and to me surprisingly,
that's never happened.

On a similar note, I'm changing the outgoing filter that marshal
pipes mail through from /bin/myupassend to /mail/box/$user/pipefrom.
The former required a bind to personalize and the new naming is
a bit more obvious given pipeto already existing.  There is one
danger: if you call marshal (perhaps inadvertantly by running
/bin/mail) you'll end up with a forker.  /bin/myupassend will
continue to work for a few months to give people a chance to
change over.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1497 bytes --]

From: bwc@coraid.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] filters and _pattern
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 07:10:16 -0500

If anyone else is using the filterkit stuff, note that the
_pattern file must be writeable by others.  I assume since
upas runs as none.  I've been using the pipeto in filterkit
for the last 30 days and have >4000 entries in the bounced file.
But I hadn't been able to add a single new entry until this morning.

 Brantley

* [9fans] filters and _pattern
@ 2002-12-19 12:10 bwc