* [9fans] ligatures in troff
@ 2012-02-09 12:07 Rudolf Sykora
       [not found] ` <CAOEdRO2m+9kE=yzfk=mT9VyJk1vzeUe=BC6HBtDQgyvVKg==gg@mail.gmail.c>
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2012-02-09 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

when I try to use any ligature in troff (on p9p, but if I remember
correctly also on p9) , such as \(fi, I don't get it. Instead I see:

tr2post: <stdin>:6735 :WARNING: cannot find glyph, rune=0x66
stoken=<fi> troff font R

Is there any (preferrably simple) way to use the ligatures (they are,
I believe appropriate in the Times Roman font).
Do you also experience such behaviour?

Thank you!
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] ligatures in troff
@ 2012-02-20 10:20 ` Rudolf Sykora
       [not found] ` <CAOEdRO2m+9kE=yzfk=mT9VyJk1vzeUe=BC6HBtDQgyvVKg==gg@mail.gmail.c>
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2012-02-20 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

On 9 February 2012 13:07, Rudolf Sykora <rudolf.sykora@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> when I try to use any ligature in troff (on p9p, but if I remember
> correctly also on p9) , such as \(fi, I don't get it. Instead I see:
>
> tr2post: <stdin>:6735 :WARNING: cannot find glyph, rune=0x66
> stoken=<fi> troff font R

As I have tried, the behaviour is the same on plan9 proper for me.
So nobody remembers what happened that we cannot use ligatures?

Thanks,
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] ligatures in troff
       [not found] ` <CAOEdRO2m+9kE=yzfk=mT9VyJk1vzeUe=BC6HBtDQgyvVKg==gg@mail.gmail.c>
@ 2012-02-21 13:15   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-02-21 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rudolf.sykora, 9fans

On Mon Feb 20 22:35:47 EST 2012, rudolf.sykora@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 9 February 2012 13:07, Rudolf Sykora <rudolf.sykora@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > when I try to use any ligature in troff (on p9p, but if I remember
> > correctly also on p9) , such as \(fi, I don't get it. Instead I see:
> >
> > tr2post: <stdin>:6735 :WARNING: cannot find glyph, rune=0x66
> > stoken=<fi> troff font R
>

> As I have tried, the behaviour is the same on plan9 proper for me.
> So nobody remembers what happened that we cannot use ligatures?

i think you simply need a font with ligatures.  if you send troff
any rune that doesn't have a mapping in its font, then you get the same
output.  try sending ♔ for example.

- erik