* [9fans] disk/kfscmd allow fails
@ 2004-04-07 19:41 Scusi
From: Scusi @ 2004-04-07 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi 9fans,

after i had my first conntact with plan9 around 2 years i now installed it
again :-).

Installation went fine, i rebooted and loged in as "glenda" to start
setting up my system (at least try how far i gonna get this time).

My problem is that i can not change important config files since
"disk-kfscmd allow" gives back: "kfscmd: can't find commands file"

Any ideas, what is wrong here ?
Where is the commandsfile normally ?
Can i somehow put one where it belongs to ?

Thanks /~scusi

* Re: [9fans] disk/kfscmd allow fails
@ 2004-04-07 19:49 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-04-07 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Hi 9fans,
>
> after i had my first conntact with plan9 around 2 years i now installed it
> again :-).
>
> Installation went fine, i rebooted and loged in as "glenda" to start
> setting up my system (at least try how far i gonna get this time).
>
> My problem is that i can not change important config files since
> "disk-kfscmd allow" gives back: "kfscmd: can't find commands file"
>
> Any ideas, what is wrong here ?
> Where is the commandsfile normally ?
> Can i somehow put one where it belongs to ?
>
> Thanks /~scusi

kfs isn't the default filesystem anymore -- we've moved to fossil.

to perform normal maintenance operations you can add your user to the
'sys' group, which will be enough for almost all maintenance
operations.  if you want something non-trivial (like changing the
permissions of a file not owned by you or sys) you can use 'wstat' on
the fossil console, or do serve a console allowing everyone to write
to it (the replica script does that trick -- see
/dist/replica/network).

to connect to the fossil console do 'con -l /srv/fscons'; the commands
are in fossilcons(8).

here's how you may mount a write-allow fossil partition:

% con -l /srv/fscons
prompt: fsys main
main: srv -AWP fsallow
main: ^\
>>> q
% mount /srv/fsallow /n/fossil
% cd /n/fossil # and edit whatever you want there...

hth: andrey