* [9fans] venti crashes at startup
@ 2004-11-03  8:28 Matthias Teege
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-11-03  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Moin,

I try to setup venti with the following procedure:

venti/fmtarenas arenas /dev/sdC0/arenas
venti/fmtisect isect /dev/sdC0/isect
venti/fmtindex venti.conf

I can run venti/venti -w.

Then I put 'venti=/dev/sdC0/arenas' in plan9.ini and it crashes on
boot. I use the 9pccpuf kernel. What do I missing?
Matthias

* Re: [9fans] venti crashes at startup
@ 2004-11-03  8:40 ` C H Forsyth
       [not found] ` <38c3fbecc91da8da2200ca416342ca86@vitanuova.com>
From: C H Forsyth @ 2004-11-03  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mteege, 9fans

have you done venti/conf -w ...?
otherwise venti won't know its configuration

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3065 bytes --]

From: Matthias Teege <mteege@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: [9fans] venti crashes at startup
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:27:43 +0059

@ 2004-11-03  8:58 ` Tiit Lankots
       [not found] ` <38c3fbecc91da8da2200ca416342ca86@vitanuova.com>
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2004-11-03  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Teege, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Then I put 'venti=/dev/sdC0/arenas' in plan9.ini and it crashes on
> boot. I use the 9pccpuf kernel. What do I missing?

Seems to me that you forgot to add venti to the boot directory
(see the end of the kernel config file).

P.S. It's "what AM i missing", not "what DO i missing"

@ 2004-11-03  9:27   ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-11-03  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C H Forsyth; +Cc: 9fans

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 08:40:59 0000, C H Forsyth <forsyth@vitanuova.com> wrote:
> have you done venti/conf -w ...?
> otherwise venti won't know its configuration

No. After do venti/conf -w venti.conf plan9 try to boot from
local!#sdC0/fs but it crashes. I only can boot from
local!#sdC0/fossil. My plan9.ini now looks like this:

[menu]
menuitem=vnt, from venti
menuitem=fsl, from fossil

[vnt]
bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pccpuf
venti=/dev/sdC0/arenas

[fsl]
bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pccpuf
bootargs=local!#S/sdC0/fossil
bootdisk=local!#S/sdC0/fossil

@ 2004-11-03  9:35   ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-11-03  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tiit Lankots; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 10:58:54 +0200, Tiit Lankots <t.lankots@aprote.ee> wrote:
> Seems to me that you forgot to add venti to the boot directory
> (see the end of the kernel config file).

% ls /boot
/boot/boot
/boot/factotum
/boot/fossil
/boot/ipconfig
/boot/kfs
/boot/venti

% tail -n 7 pccpuf
bootdir
   bootpccpuf.out boot
   /386/bin/ip/ipconfig
   /386/bin/auth/factotum
   /386/bin/disk/kfs
   /386/bin/fossil/fossil
   /386/bin/venti/venti

anything wrong?

> P.S. It's "what AM i missing", not "what DO i missing"

Many thanks

@ 2004-11-03 10:47     ` Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2004-11-03 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Matthias Teege wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 08:40:59 0000, C H Forsyth <forsyth@vitanuova.com> wrote:
> > have you done venti/conf -w ...?
> > otherwise venti won't know its configuration
>
> No. After do venti/conf -w venti.conf plan9 try to boot from
> local!#sdC0/fs but it crashes. I only can boot from
> local!#sdC0/fossil. My plan9.ini now looks like this:

It's because you don't set bootargs and bootdisk in your venti section
of plan9.ini, I think.

> [menu]
> menuitem=vnt, from venti
> menuitem=fsl, from fossil
>
> [vnt]
> bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pccpuf
> venti=/dev/sdC0/arenas
>
> [fsl]
> bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pccpuf
> bootargs=local!#S/sdC0/fossil
> bootdisk=local!#S/sdC0/fossil

Put the 2 lines at the end into a section named [common].

* Re: [9fans] venti crashes at startup
@ 2004-11-03 12:30       ` C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2004-11-03 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > have you done venti/conf -w ...?
> > otherwise venti won't know its configuration
>
> No. After do venti/conf -w venti.conf plan9 try to boot from

i hope you meant
	venti/conf -w /dev/sdC0/arenas <venti.conf

have you also done a similar thing for fossil
	fossil/conf -w /dev/sdC0/fossil
giving your (initial) fossil configuration on the standard input,
perhaps from an existing file.

otherwise, /boot will assume you've got a kfs installation, not fossil[+venti]
bootdisk seems to be set correctly, by default in pccpuf, so i don't think you
need any more plan9.ini variables.  you do need the conf data in both fossil and venti.
mind you, if you've got the partition(s) but not the configuration(s),
it ought to have complained about
`no fossil config found ...' or `no venti config found ...'

* Re: [9fans] venti crashes at startup
@ 2004-11-03 16:01       ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-11-03 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:47:36 +0100, Heiko Dudzus <heiko.dudzus@gmx.de> wrote:

> It's because you don't set bootargs and bootdisk in your venti section
> of plan9.ini, I think.

Ok, my plan9.ini looks like this now:
bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pccpuf
bootargs=local!#S/sdC0/
bootdisk=local!#S/sdC0/
venti=/dev/sdC0/arenas

The server comes up and I see the 'venti' message.  ps ax | grep venti
| wc -l gives 3.  I make a snapshot with
con /srv/fscons
sys main
snap -a

but 'df' shows me that 11% of the write cache is used. I can see the
snapshot after 9fs dump und /n/dump. Isn't the wriet cache cleaned
automaticly?

@ 2004-11-03 16:41         ` Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2004-11-03 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Matthias Teege wrote:
> Ok, my plan9.ini looks like this now:
> bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pccpuf
> bootargs=local!#S/sdC0/
> bootdisk=local!#S/sdC0/
> venti=/dev/sdC0/arenas

btw, bootdisk is deprecated. It isn't necessary if you use bootargs.

* Re: [9fans] venti crashes at startup
@ 2004-11-03 17:12         ` gdiaz
From: gdiaz @ 2004-11-03 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hello,

I think that cache is your fossil filesystem, so, that 11%
are the files you can see in normal operation.

if i not missed all of that, venti "generates" your cache
(fossil) in which you can work like normal fs, and when
finish your work , the snapshot will write it to venti fs.

so you never will see an empty cache unless that fossil
does not contain your plan9 system disk.

you can create a fossil for the system and other fossil
for other purposes. That will allow you to empty that
fossil completly. I am not sure if you can dump two fossils
to one venti, but i suppose yes.

gabi

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3859 bytes --]

From: Matthias Teege <mteege@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] venti crashes at startup
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 17:00:09 +0059

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:47:36 +0100, Heiko Dudzus <heiko.dudzus@gmx.de> wrote:

> It's because you don't set bootargs and bootdisk in your venti section
> of plan9.ini, I think.

Ok, my plan9.ini looks like this now:
bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pccpuf
bootargs=local!#S/sdC0/
bootdisk=local!#S/sdC0/
venti=/dev/sdC0/arenas

The server comes up and I see the 'venti' message.  ps ax | grep venti
| wc -l gives 3.  I make a snapshot with
con /srv/fscons
sys main
snap -a

but 'df' shows me that 11% of the write cache is used. I can see the
snapshot after 9fs dump und /n/dump. Isn't the wriet cache cleaned
automaticly?

Matthias

* Re: [9fans] venti crashes at startup
@ 2004-11-06 15:01           ` Matthias Teege
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-11-06 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 17:12:43 0000, gdiaz@online.ie <gdiaz@online.ie> wrote:

> I think that cache is your fossil filesystem, so, that 11%
> are the files you can see in normal operation.
>
> if i not missed all of that, venti "generates" your cache
> (fossil) in which you can work like normal fs, and when
> finish your work , the snapshot will write it to venti fs.

Does this mean that after I copy a lot of big files to the plan9
system I have to made a snapshot and then remove the files from fossil
and use the venti dump archive instead?

I'm not sure if my current fossil/venti setup work as expected because
I don't get any output from snap -a.

@ 2004-11-06 15:15             ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-11-06 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mteege, 9fans

> Does this mean that after I copy a lot of big files to the plan9
> system I have to made a snapshot and then remove the files from fossil
> and use the venti dump archive instead?
>
> I'm not sure if my current fossil/venti setup work as expected because
> I don't get any output from snap -a.
>
> Matthias

check out the 'snaptime' command in fossilcons(8).  if you want to
free up space in fossil just use 'snapclean' or epoch.

this is all in the man page.

main: epoch
	low 10170 hi 10447
	10170	clri /snapshot/2004/1104/1050
	10171	clri /snapshot/2004/1104/1100
	10172	clri /snapshot/2004/1104/1110
	10173	clri /snapshot/2004/1104/1120
	10174	clri /snapshot/2004/1104/1130
	10175	clri /snapshot/2004/1104/1140
	[...]
	10433	clri /snapshot/2004/1106/0600
	10434	clri /snapshot/2004/1106/0610
	10435	clri /snapshot/2004/1106/0620
	10436	clri /snapshot/2004/1106/0630
	10437	clri /snapshot/2004/1106/0640
	10438	clri /snapshot/2004/1106/0650
	10439	clri /snapshot/2004/1106/0700
	10440	clri /snapshot/2004/1106/0710
	10441	clri /snapshot/2004/1106/0720
	10442	clri /snapshot/2004/1106/0730
	10443	clri /snapshot/2004/1106/0740
	10444	clri /snapshot/2004/1106/0750
	10445	clri /snapshot/2004/1106/0800
	10446	clri /snapshot/2004/1106/0810
	273 snapshots found with epoch < 4294967295
	not setting low epoch
main: df
	main: 227,631,104 used + 12,205,752,320 free = 12,433,383,424 (1% used)
main: snapclean 3600
main: df
	main: 122,077,184 used + 12,311,306,240 free = 12,433,383,424 (0% used)
main: epoch
	low 10301 hi 10447
	10301	clri /snapshot/2004/1105/0820
	10302	clri /snapshot/2004/1105/0830
	10303	clri /snapshot/2004/1105/0840
	10304	clri /snapshot/2004/1105/0850
	[...]

andrey

* Re: [9fans] venti crashes at startup
@ 2004-11-06 17:01             ` Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2004-11-06 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Teege, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Matthias Teege wrote:
> Does this mean that after I copy a lot of big files to the plan9
> system I have to made a snapshot and then remove the files from fossil
> and use the venti dump archive instead?

Yes, to free space in fossil you need to do an archival snapshot (or
to dismiss ephemeral ones). But no, you don't have to remove the file
from the active filesystem. [1]

Even the active filesystem is stored in venti (after snap -a), not
only the archive/ tree.

And of course, you can use the files in the active/ tree, you
don't have to access them via the the archive/ tree (/n/dump).

[1] BTW I realised that the removal of files from fossil does not free
blocks immediately (as shown by df). However, they are freed after
rebooting.

* Re: [9fans] venti crashes at startup
@ 2004-11-10  9:03             ` gdiaz
From: gdiaz @ 2004-11-10  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Does this mean that after I copy a lot of big files to the plan9
> system I have to made a snapshot and then remove the files from fossil
> and use the venti dump archive instead?

if you haven't enough space in your fossil yes, but remember, that you cannot re-write files to venti, so the only operation you can do with venti-files is read or write a new one.

I think you shoul make a fossil enough big to work, and venti enough big to store the snaps from that big-fossil.

> I'm not sure if my current fossil/venti setup work as expected because
> I don't get any output from snap -a.

snap -a should report vac number, used to generate the cache-fs if needed, (read 9fans archive to obtain more information about vac number and fossil recovery) and remember that snapshots takes a bit of time to complete, so be patient.

if you want to test, use history(1) or yesterday(1) commands, they should work.

gabi

* Re: [9fans] venti crashes at startup
@ 2004-11-10 10:36               ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-11-10 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:03:01 +0100, gdiaz@online.ie <gdiaz@online.ie> wrote:
> snap -a should report vac number, used to generate the cache-fs if needed,
> (read 9fans archive to > obtain more information about vac number and fossil recovery) and
> remember that snapshots
> takes a bit of time to complete, so be patient.

Thanks, after a reboot it works now as expected. It's cool. I also can
boot a diskless terminal from the server now.  There is only one
problem I try to solve. If I boot the terminal, boot ask for a user. I
give one and the terminal come up but I can't write anything. So I run
auth/factotum and then ' cpu -h crn'. Now factotum ask for user and
password and after login I can write files. As I remember correct this
should occur at boottime. It should look like this:

user[none]: mt
version...
!Adding key: dom=mteege proto=p9sk1
user[mt]:
password: pass
time...

but in my case (on terminal) it looks like this:

user[none]: mt<ENTER>
version...
time...

I read the archives up and down but don't get it. I also check the
auth server setup with ndb/query and ndb/csquery as described in
http://groups.google.de/groups?selm=1b29e9d763c9f0837eba51e2adcbcd1f%40plan9.bell-labs.com.

Must I setup something special to get factotum running at login?

@ 2004-11-10 12:42                 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2004-11-10 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mteege, 9fans

I wonder if your terminal is running 9disk rather than 9pc as
a kernel? check the enrty in /lib/ndb/local, heres a snippet from
mine as an example.

	sys=paris ether=0020af8d6140
		ip=192.168.0.3
		authdom=home.quintile.net
		dom=paris.quintile.net
		bootf=/386/9pc.gz

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] venti crashes at startup
@ 2004-11-06 15:27 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-11-06 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mteege, 9fans

> I'm not sure if my current fossil/venti setup work as expected because
> I don't get any output from snap -a.

if you have gigabytes of data on your fossil that isn't on venti then
snap -a won't print anything for a very long time and may even hang
your computer while it's doing the not-printing part.

for example, the big bumps in
http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/screenshots/venti-size-03-04.ps
took 6 to 12 hours to snap from fossil to venti.

andrey