* Re: [9fans] plan9 username is not desired e-mail source
@ 2002-08-03 23:48 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-08-03 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

IN addition to rsc's suggestion

	upasname=cdevilbiss@charter.net

in your env will do it.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1998 bytes --]

From: colin@charter.net
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] plan9 username is not desired e-mail source
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 13:40:53 -0500

Reading through rewrite(6) and experimenting, it seems that it is
extremely difficult to send mail with a different origin than the
username I chose on my plan9 machine.

To be specific, my e-mail address is cdevilbiss@charter.net, but my
plan9 login name is colin; thus, all mail I send seems to come from
colin@charter.net.

Is there some way to do this that is neither deeply evil nor requires
me to change all instances of my login name in the bowels of the
system?

Thanks in advance.

--
Colin DeVilbiss
cdevilbiss@charter.net

* Re: [9fans] plan9 username is not desired e-mail source
@ 2002-08-19 15:23   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2002-08-19 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp wrote:

>if(~ $OK 1){    # sender masquering
>awk '
>/^From |^Received:|^MBOX-Line:|^Message-ID:/{f=1;next}
>/^From:/{f=1; print "From:","'$sender@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp'"; next}

It thought I'd just note that RFC 822 headers are case insensitive and
zero or
more LWSP [Linear White SPace] characters can occur between the header
name and the colon.

LSWP = space and tab

* Re: [9fans] plan9 username is not desired e-mail source
@ 2002-08-04 20:45   ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2002-08-04 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sorry.

>    alice@aichi-u ac.jp is converted to arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp
alice@pc.aichi-u ac.jp and alice@al.aichi-u.ac.jp is converted to
arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp

Kenji Arisawa

* Re: [9fans] plan9 username is not desired e-mail source
@ 2002-08-04 20:39 ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2002-08-04 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>Aliasmail -f is invoked by /mail/lib/remotemail,
>but only to get a sender's domain.  The sender
>name can't be changed with it.
>
>Russ

The senders name can be chnaged in qmail.

The following is qmail for sender masquerade:
    alice@aichi-u ac.jp is converted to arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp
where ar.aichi-u.ac.jp is this dom name.

Kenji Arisawa

#!/bin/rc
#
#       qmail derivers a mail to a remote host
#	$* are as follows:
#
#	mail from arisawa@pc.aichi-u.ac.jp to junk@junk.com
#	pc.aichi-u.ac.jp!arisawa net!junk.com junk
#	(don't post to junk.com. this dom really exist now!)
#
#	mail from postmaster to arisawa@pc.aichi-u.ac.jp:
#	/dev/null net!pc.aichi-u.ac.jp arisawa
#

sender=$1
shift
addr=$1
shift

#
#       for example
#       $sender:
#           alice           -- from local mailes
#                 now smptd rejects a sender who pretends local
user.
#           *!alice -- from remote machin
#           ar!*!alice	-- from remote machin via pipeto
#           /dev/null      -- from postmaster
#       $addr:
#           net!vega        -- to remote hosts vega
#       $*:	recipient
#           bob             -- a user on vega
#

#       OK flag
#       1: do sender masquering
#       0: no sender masquering
OK=0

#
#       relay service and  the sender masquering
#
dom=aichi-u.ac.jp
if(~ $sender (pc al)^.$dom!* ar!^(pc al)^.$dom!*){
    ifs0=$ifs
    ifs='!' s=`{echo -n $sender}
    ifs=$ifs0
    sender=$s(2)
    if(~ $s(1) ar) sender=$s(3)
    # echo $sysname: qmail-masq pettern OK $sender >> /sys/log/test
    switch($sender){
    case alice
        OK=1
        sender=arisawa
    }
}

if(~ $OK 1){    # sender masquering
awk '
/^From |^Received:|^MBOX-Line:|^Message-ID:/{f=1;next}
/^From:/{f=1; print "From:","'$sender@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp'"; next}
/^[ \t]/ && f==1 {next}
/^$/{ print; while (getline>0) print $0}
/.+/{f=0;print $0}'|\
/bin/upas/qer /mail/queue mail $sender $addr $* || exit 1
/bin/upas/runq /mail/queue /mail/lib/remotemail</dev/null>/dev/null
>[2=1]
exit
}

#
#       controll the sender's request to relay.
#       If this is not a relay host, you should not answer the
request.
#
# 	relay request from a remote sender.

#
#       local user can send a mail to anywhere
#
#       full-path is required for $sender to be translated
correctlly
#       otherwise the name is regarded as local name.
#	example: if pc!arisawa is translated to
pc!arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp
#
/bin/upas/qer /mail/queue mail $sender $addr $* || exit 1
/bin/upas/runq /mail/queue /mail/lib/remotemail</dev/null>/dev/null
>[2=1]
exit 0

* Re: [9fans] plan9 username is not desired e-mail source
@ 2002-08-04 13:35 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-08-04 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Aliasmail -f is invoked by /mail/lib/remotemail,
but only to get a sender's domain.  The sender
name can't be changed with it.

Russ

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1705 bytes --]

From: presotto@closedmind.org
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 08:55:30 -0400

I documented upasname recently, around the same
time that I broke the mail man page into several ones.
The new versions are out on sources.  'man marshal' is
the relevant page.

Fromfiles went in during one of our many splits, when
Lucent was in the midst of splitting from AT&T, around
'96 to get the right return address for people.  Looking
around, I don't see anything execing aliasmail -f
so I don't think its used by anything anymore.  I'll
look harder, I may be wrong.

* Re: [9fans] plan9 username is not desired e-mail source
@ 2002-08-04 12:55 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-08-04 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-08-03 23:41 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-08-03 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

echo from.local >/mail/lib/fromfiles
echo 'colin	cdevilbiss@charter.net' >/mail/lib/from.local

russ

* Re: [9fans] plan9 username is not desired e-mail source
@ 2002-08-03 19:14 cdevilbiss
From: cdevilbiss @ 2002-08-03 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks for both of your suggestions.

Interestingly, the aliasmail and /mail/lib/fromfiles suggestion didn't
work for me; I probably should have mentioned that I am on a 3e
system, so maybe the following have changed in 4e.

 From my mail(1):
        Aliasmail
          Under the -f option, alias files
          listed in /mail/lib/fromfiles are consulted instead, and the
          domain part only of the expansion is printed.

and my /mail/lib/remotemail:
#!/bin/rc
shift
sender=$1
shift
addr=$1
shift
fd=`{/bin/upas/aliasmail -f $sender}
switch($fd){
case *.*
	;
case *
	fd=charter.net
}
exec /bin/upas/smtp -h $fd $addr $sender $*

So it looks like $sender in remotemail is guaranteed to be the
original $1 (my login name?).  The $upasname suggestion seems to have
worked like a charm (once I remembered to respawn Acme Mail so that it
would pick up a new /env).

Did 4e change the way remotemail works so /mail/lib/fromfiles is more
``powerful?''  Also, is /env/upasname documented anywhere or just in
the source?

Thanks again to both of you.

--
Colin DeVilbiss
cdevilbiss@charter.net

* [9fans] plan9 username is not desired e-mail source
@ 2002-08-03 18:40 colin