* Re: [9fans] Image viewer
@ 2002-03-13  4:11 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-03-13  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Before I "remake the wheel", are there any image viewers out that support
> JPEG, PNG, etc. that have already been ported to Plan9?  I think I will start
> there if not.  I'm not sure how big of a task porting such things as libjpeg
> and libpng would be though ...

See the page(1) manual page.

> I'm eager to get my hands into this new OS as much as I can - the ideas
> behind it do seem rather exciting - and as I'll be going to college next year
> and starting in Computer Science I believe Plan9 would be a great environment
> for me to use.  Right now I've only got it on my laptop - unfortunately all
> of my other machines use Nvidia cards (Geforce2) or are Macintosh PPC.

We should be able to handle Nvidia.  Details are on the wiki
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/1

> Also, if anyone maintains a page of software that has been ported to Plan9,
> could you please send me a link.

There's some stuff at http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~rsc/plan9.html
and at http://www.caldo.demon.co.uk/plan9/soft/index.html.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Image viewer
@ 2002-03-13  4:16 ` William Josephson
From: William Josephson @ 2002-03-13  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 11:00:17PM -0500, Brandon Barker wrote:
> Hello, I'm new to Plan9 (I've been using Linux for a few years now), and I
> just barely managed to create a new user after logging in as glenda.  I'd
> like to start playing around with plan9 and maybe port some trivial
> applications over to start out (I have some little experience with C (and
> C++, but from what I hear Plan9 does not yet have a c++ compiler).

s/not yet/no longer/

And some of us like it that way :-p Well, I guess there is the gcc
port in progress.  I poty the poor bastard who has to port that.

> Also, if anyone maintains a page of software that has been ported to Plan9,
> could you please send me a link.

Try:

	achille.cs.bell-labs.com/plan9dist
	www.eecs.harvard.edu/~rsc

[...]