* [9fans] Acme and cscope shortcuts
@ 2005-07-16  9:38 Mike Casinghino
From: Mike Casinghino @ 2005-07-16  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm switching to the acme environment on linux (from vim/xterm) using
plan9port. For cscope, I created a script called ~/bin/fgdef
(find-global-def):

echo 1$1 | cscope -l -d | \
perl -ne 'print "$1:$3 $2 $4\n" if m/(\S+)\s+(\S+)\s+(\d+)\s+(\S+)\s+(.*)/;'

Now I can put "fgdef symbol" in my tagline, middle sweep it and cscope
finds the definitions for me. The perl noise rearranges the output for
button-3 clicking.

I was thinking of adding some keyboard + mouse-button shortcuts into
acme, and was wondering if anyone has suggested this or actually tried
it before. Here's a short list of what I'd like to do.

* In a text window, holding down Alt and clicking button-3 would
reverse search for the selected text.
* Holding Alt and clicking button-2 in the tagline would run the
tagline command with the selection as an argument. (That would work
*great* with the cscope trick above.)
* Holding Ctrl and clicking button-2 in the tagline would clear the
output window before running the command.
* A Lineno tag keyword that displays line numbers in a text window.
* Oh, and mail so I can finally ditch mutt

Any suggestions, admonitions or warnings?

-Mike

* Re: [9fans] Acme and cscope shortcuts
@ 2005-07-16 10:18 ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2005-07-16 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mike.casinghino, 9fans

>>* Holding Alt and clicking button-2 in the tagline would run the
>>tagline command with the selection as an argument. (That would work
>>*great* with the cscope trick above.)

        Chords of mouse buttons

          Commands may be given extra arguments by a mouse chord with
          buttons 2 and 1.  While holding down button 2 on text to be
          executed as a command, clicking button 1 appends the text
          last pointed to by button 1 as a distinct final argument.
          For example, to search for literal text one may execute Look
          text with button 2 or instead point at text with button 1 in
          any window, release button 1, then execute Look, clicking
          button 1 while 2 is held down.

          When an external command (e.g.  echo(1)) is executed this
          way, the extra argument is passed as expected and an envi-
          ronment variable $acmeaddr is created that holds, in the
          form interpreted by button 3, the fully-qualified address of
          the extra argument.

in short, 2-1 chord executes the command with the selection as argument

>>* Oh, and mail so I can finally ditch mutt

	/acme/mail/guide
	/acme/mail/readme

* Re: [9fans] Acme and cscope shortcuts
@ 2005-07-16 12:48 ` Russ Cox
       [not found]   ` <2309aa1805071611221ec2b908@mail.gmail.com>
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-07-16 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Casinghino, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I was thinking of adding some keyboard + mouse-button shortcuts into
> acme, and was wondering if anyone has suggested this or actually tried
> it before. Here's a short list of what I'd like to do.

Plan 9 keeps the keyboard and mouse separate.  They're different
input devices and are treated as such.  Also, Alt is taken for compose
sequences (so typing Alt, *, a gets you a unicode alpha).

> * In a text window, holding down Alt and clicking button-3 would
> reverse search for the selected text.

I sometimes do wish there was an easier reverse search, but
:-/text will get the job done.

> * Holding Alt and clicking button-2 in the tagline would run the
> tagline command with the selection as an argument. (That would work
> *great* with the cscope trick above.)

As Charles pointed out, a chord exists already for this.

> * Holding Ctrl and clicking button-2 in the tagline would clear the
> output window before running the command.

This seems of dubious value.  I just Del the output window
(I assume you mean the dir/+Errors window) when I want it cleared.

> * A Lineno tag keyword that displays line numbers in a text window.

You mean like vi's :set number?  That'd be hard to implement.
You can get to a particular line with :123 in the tag and you can
find out where you are with Edit =.

> * Oh, and mail so I can finally ditch mutt

Please please please.  Work on this.  Plan 9 has a really nice mail
system that you won't be able to duplicate easily on Unix but at
the least we could get a simple acme mail (maybe based on mh)
going.  There is a framework for writing acme clients in
src/cmd/netfiles/acme.[ch].

Russ

* Fwd: [9fans] Acme and cscope shortcuts
       [not found]   ` <2309aa1805071611221ec2b908@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2005-07-16 18:24     ` Mike Casinghino
From: Mike Casinghino @ 2005-07-16 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 7/16/05, Russ Cox <russcox@gmail.com> wrote:
> > * Holding Alt and clicking button-2 in the tagline would run the
> > tagline command with the selection as an argument. (That would work
> > *great* with the cscope trick above.)
>
> As Charles pointed out, a chord exists already for this.

That's great, I totally missed that in the manual.

> > * Holding Ctrl and clicking button-2 in the tagline would clear the
> > output window before running the command.
>
> This seems of dubious value.  I just Del the output window
> (I assume you mean the dir/+Errors window) when I want it cleared.

That's how I'd been doing this. I would still like to avoid running my
mouse all the way down to the output window, but it works for now.

> > * A Lineno tag keyword that displays line numbers in a text window.
>
> You mean like vi's :set number?  That'd be hard to implement.
> You can get to a particular line with :123 in the tag and you can
> find out where you are with Edit =.

Another neat trick. Looks like I need to study the sam manual.

> > * Oh, and mail so I can finally ditch mutt
>
> Please please please.  Work on this.  Plan 9 has a really nice mail
> system that you won't be able to duplicate easily on Unix but at
> the least we could get a simple acme mail (maybe based on mh)
> going.  There is a framework for writing acme clients in
> src/cmd/netfiles/acme.[ch].

I'll get cracking.

Thanks for all the pointers, everyone.

-Mike

* Re: Fwd: [9fans] Acme and cscope shortcuts
@ 2005-07-16 18:45       ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2005-07-16 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mike.casinghino, 9fans

> Another neat trick. Looks like I need to study the sam manual.

If you are interested in sam, don't miss the sam command language tutorial
/sys/doc/sam/sam.tut (http://www.9grid.de/sources/plan9/sys/doc/sam/sam.tut)

-Steve

@ 2005-07-16 19:00   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2005-07-16 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Please please please.  Work on this.  Plan 9 has a really nice mail
> system that you won't be able to duplicate easily on Unix but at
> the least we could get a simple acme mail (maybe based on mh)

i see now.  sorry, my suggestion of /acme/mail/guide was made in a rather
mystified way -- i'd assumed it had just been overlooked -- but actually
i'd overlooked that this had to do with plan9ports on unix not plan9.