* Re: [9fans] EROS, Vapour
@ 2001-08-31  8:53 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-08-31  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	mode, all synchronizing via cheap test&set processor instructions, whereas
	in Plan9/etc. an expensive switch to kernel mode is required, making
	heavily parallel things unpractical (the cost of mutexes becomes higher
	than the gain of parallelism).

i don't know about the `etc.' but in Plan 9, at least, if your application could
manage with only test and set processor instructions on Vapour it
would manage on Plan 9, using ... errr... test and set instructions
at user mode.

* [9fans] Anybody runs kaffe?
@ 2001-08-31 10:52 ` pac
From: pac @ 2001-08-31 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,
did anybody try to compile & run Kaffe 0.9.2 ?
http://www.hut.fi/~tikonen/plan9/kaffe-plan9.tar.Z
no binaries included, although stated so, and mk reports errors.

Peter.
--
Peter A Cejchan
biologist

* Re: [9fans] Anybody runs kaffe?
@ 2001-09-02  9:13 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2001-09-02  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hope I didn't give the impression I was criticising Kaffe in general.
My testing was limited to running the Sun JDK compiler using the Kaffe
JVM; I found it crashed on some of the Java programs I needed to
compile.

The Plan 9 port was based on a 1998 Kaffe release.  I expect a new
version based on the current Kaffe would be more reliable.  The README
for the existing port says it took a team of Finnish undergraduates
about eight months.

-- Richard

* Re: [9fans] Anybody runs kaffe?
@ 2001-08-31 20:09 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-08-31 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

sounds like they've committed the odd gaffe.

* Re: [9fans] Anybody runs kaffe?
@ 2001-08-31 20:05 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2001-08-31 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Heh, reminds me of another Java experience.
When Java was first announced, and Sun released
a beta version of their Java VM, I grabbed a copy
intending to port it to Plan 9 (yes, this was years
ago).

I quickly lost interest when I looked at the source code.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1589 bytes --]

From: Richard Miller <miller@hamnavoe.demon.co.uk>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Anybody runs kaffe?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 20:35:16 0100

> did anybody try to compile & run Kaffe 0.9.2 ?

I did manage to get it compiled, but I lost interest quickly because it
did not seem to be very reliable.

-- Richard

* Re: [9fans] Anybody runs kaffe?
@ 2001-08-31 19:35 Richard Miller