* Re: [9fans] Niggles
@ 2002-11-01 17:28 a
From: a @ 2002-11-01 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i disagree: i've seen it with 3e as well as 4e. on 3e, i'd
observed it both via the regular serial ports and the
avanstar port. but i get repeated characters only, not
strictly spurious. i fairly frequently see things like this
when typing via a ps2 keyboard at the cga console of my
console server while C'd into another box:
	% ps
	pps: '/bin/pps' directory entry not found
it's very disconcerting.
ア

* Re: [9fans] Niggles
@ 2002-11-01 17:33 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-01 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

here's the weird thing:
explain why it doesn't
happen in vga mode.

* Re: [9fans] Niggles
@ 2002-11-01  5:06 Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2002-11-01  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've seen the invisible spurious character business on CPU server
consoles with the serial console enabled, but while typing on the PS2
keyboard and watching the CGA display.  I think it's new in 4e.

* [9fans] Niggles
@ 2002-10-31  1:08 lucio
From: lucio @ 2002-10-31  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Just a few oddities with a recent version of Plan 9.

1.  In text mode, the keyboard handler seems to be a little erratic.
In RIO no problems seem to occur.  The behaviour seems to be caused by
the occasional backspace and consists of the addition of spurious
characters that are not echoed to the screen.  Hard to describe, even
harder to pinpoint.  The most common situation is an invalid command
name or command argument value that has a space or some other
character in it not present in the command line itself.  It is
frequent enough to be a bit of a bother on an auth or cpu server.  I
can't recall if I ever encountered on the FS. I think the problem
appeared in 4th Edition, I can probably check later this month.

Hm, I haven't ever checked if switching to VGA mode makes a difference
or not.

2.  My Intellimouse seems to be misunderstood: the right button quite
regularly starts duplicating the middle button function in RIO, SAM
and ACME; a wloc command in any window restores it to its more useful
behaviour.  I only noticed this recently, I'm using a stand-alone
workstation with the second ISO image (the one I asked Russ about a
few days before its recent release - I think it's current, send me a
digest and I'll compare).

3.  I started getting vncv lockouts so I switched to a newer
workstation, keeping the disks unchanged and the lockouts as well as
frequent vncv failures have stopped.  I find this quite baffling, but
not unexpected.  I also have a Gygabyte motherboard that seems
incapable of handling any OSes like Plan 9, NetBSD or WinNT that need
real memory protection.  I think it's MMU related.  Hm, could be
CPU-related, too, the chip is Cyrix/IBM rather than Intel, but I think
I tried a different CPU once.

Can't think of anything else presently, I may follow up on this if I
recall or encounter any other small issues that one can easily live
with.

++L