* Re: [9fans] kernel/config
@ 2002-06-25 17:07 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-06-25 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Ugh, I see. You could be so kind to add that to the wiki, so followers
could avoid those 2 days.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1699 bytes --]

From: Andrew Stitt <astitt@cats.ucsc.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] kernel/config
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:48:13 GMT

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Fco.J.Ballesteros wrote:

> Did you `bind' the driver to /dev before starting rio?

yes, i did everything the wiki said. I later discovered it was because
cpurc didnt setup a mouse and screensize like termrc does (what a waste of
2 days time)

* Re: [9fans] kernel/config
@ 2002-06-25 16:48 ` Andrew Stitt
From: Andrew Stitt @ 2002-06-25 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-06-24 10:02 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-06-24 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Did you `bind' the driver to /dev before starting rio?

* [9fans] kernel/config
@ 2002-06-24  9:45 Andrew Stitt
From: Andrew Stitt @ 2002-06-24  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I apologize if there is info on any of these problems elsewhere, ive
looked but had no luck. Anyways, Ive been trying to setup a cpu/auth
server by following the instructions in the wiki (for building a
standalone cpu/auth server). It all seemed to go fine except for the
kernel compile. I recompiled a kernel by modifying pcauth to fit my vga
card. Now whenever I boot that kernel it wont go into rio because:
"rio: can't open display: initdisplay: /dev/draw/new: no frame buffer"

for good measure i double checked the card type in the box (s3 virge gx)
and made sure it was in the config file i used to build the kernel. I also
later took the liberty of adding in all the cards from the other config
file, and tried several other graphics cards, no luck.

Next, im confused and hitting my head on the wall about the configuration,
I cant tell from the abbreviated and short documentation about the changes
I need to consider since most information seems to still be based on
version 3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, ive been hitting my head on the
wall for about 8 hours on this one and havent gotten anywhere.

                                  Andrew