* [9fans] Building a cpu/auth server
@ 2004-06-07 14:01 Frank Palazzolo
From: Frank Palazzolo @ 2004-06-07 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I decided to give up on the goofy "terminal as auth server" config, and I
built a cpu/auth server last night for the first time.  I ran into one small
detail that's not addressed in the wiki.  As suggested, I decided to try to
build a kernel based on pcauth, but with a different name:

cp pcauth pcautha
acme apautha
mk 'CONF=pcautha'

This didn't work for me - I got some kind of error like "Mk: don't know how
to make XXXX.out file".  I ended up backing up the pcauth file, and using a
modified pcauth instead, and it worked fine.  From looking at the mkfile, it
looks like there are a set of special names that work as 'CONF=XX"?

I'm still debugging my auth configuration, but all-in-all it went really
smoothly.  I was amazed at how fast the kernel built on my crummy
PentiumI-200.

I might have to figure out how to edit the wiki now :)

Thanks,
-Frank

* Re: [9fans] Building a cpu/auth server
@ 2004-06-07 14:16 ` matt
From: matt @ 2004-06-07 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Frank

bind pcautha pcauth
mk 'CONF=pcauth'

presumably you also now have all sorts of crud in your source directory

personally I use this :

#!/bin/rc

mysrc = /usr/matt/plan9_local/sys/src

for (d in 9/pc 9/ip 9/alphapc 9/bitsy 9/boot 9/port 9/mtx boot/alphapc boot/arm boot/pc ) {
	if(! test -d $mysrc/$d)
		mkdir $mysrc/$d
	bind -cb $mysrc/$d /sys/src/$d
}

* Re: [9fans] Building a cpu/auth server
@ 2004-06-07 14:41   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-06-07 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> bind pcautha pcauth
> mk 'CONF=pcauth'

You don't want this.  You will certainly confuse yourself
when next you try to build pcauth, since there will be
object files that look like pcauth but are really pcautha.

    cp pcauth pcautha
    mk 'CONF=pcautha'

should work just fine.  What is the exact error message?
Does it go away if you run

    mk 'CONF=pcautha' 9pcautha

?

The list of pcauth pcf etc. names in the mkfile is for
cleanup and installation purposes only.  It doesn't limit
what you can say on the mk command line.

The other bindings suggested by matt are much more
reasonable, since they don't result in as much confusion
should you forget to do the bind.  Still, if you're worrying
about not making new files in the /sys/src/9 tree, it's
even easier just to copy the whole tree -- the kernel is
so small anyway.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Building a cpu/auth server
@ 2004-06-07 15:27     ` matt
From: matt @ 2004-06-07 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I see what you mean about the first bind. I dont use that way anyway

wrt the other binds : just doing what Rob advised

that way if you do a replica and a file changes in /sys/src your copied version wont get out of step *and* you know which files you have changed just by ls, if they aren't there, you haven't changed them. Easier than walking the whole tree with diff

but, hey, whatever works for you