* [9fans] The utility of a chording pad
@ 2007-08-05  3:50 john
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: john @ 2007-08-05  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

So I've spent a lot of time today watching recordings of Engelbart's
1968 demonstration (http://sloan.stanford.edu/mousesite/1968Demo.html),
and I really like the chording pad he has over on the left of his keyboard.
It's the same type of thing that shows up again in the Xerox Alto.
I'm just wondering, as Plan 9 users and developers, what would you do
with such a thing in the environment? Engelbart's device apparently
let you input 31 different chords, which I'd say isn't sufficient to replace
a keyboard but is still pretty impressive; with such a thing, would you perhaps
bind the chords to perform acme commands, for instance? We've already
got mouse chording, and it's pretty slick; add some more chording in,
say hit the first two keys in order to delete the current frame in acme.
Of course, if we were to get a chord pad that could produce enough
combinations for all alphanumeric characters, it could be used to replace
the keyboard.

I'd just like to get some opinions, see what you think of chording devices
and what potential utility they could have in Plan 9.

John

* Re: [9fans] The utility of a chording pad
@ 2007-08-05 11:35 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-08-05 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If I recall correctly Rob Pike's comments in this forum a long time
> ago apropos the issue of customisation, I would suggest that such a
> chording pad would be more frustrating than useful.  It goes almost
> without saying that the generality of such a device lends itself to
> insane re-configuration by each user, with dramatic, if potentially
> humorous results.

i think it's hard to say without doing an experiment.  there is no
reason one needs to use all the combinations.  so it would be
interesting to add a forth button.  perhaps one could disambiguate
between Look and Open.  (how many times have you had to play
tricks because there is a symbol wumpus and file wumpus?)

> Consider that there are twelve function keys on the conventional
> keyboard and Plan 9 uses none of them.  Nevermind the new keyboards
> with the full Jumbo Jet console on them.

that's because they're not standard.  you can use them if you map them
with /dev/kbmap.

cpu% cat fkeys
0	59	'☺
0	60	'☹