* [9fans] microsoft patent
@ 2004-03-25 15:36 matt
From: matt @ 2004-03-25 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In a story on TheRegsiter today it mentions a Microsoft patent that was filed in 2004 for "a common namespace for Internet and local filesystem objects"

http://theregister.co.uk/content/4/36520.html

here's the patent application in question

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&p=1&S1=20020188758.PGNR.&OS=DN/20020188758&RS=DN/20020188758

it starts out with 'document browser' but gets a bit more specific

I know next to nothing about patent stuff but I just thought it might be relevant to someone.

Though their description of the problem does show how convoluted their OS is :)

* Re: [9fans] microsoft patent
@ 2004-03-25 16:53 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-03-25 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

yeah, microsoft invented this amazing idea of making your mail look like a
file system. Did Plan 9 guys ever consider such a brilliant idea?

ron

* Re: [9fans] microsoft patent
@ 2004-03-25 19:02   ` 9nut
From: 9nut @ 2004-03-25 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> yeah, microsoft invented this amazing idea of making your mail look like a
> file system. Did Plan 9 guys ever consider such a brilliant idea?

Apparently M$ is also working on a new invention called "the ham
sandwich".  Their OS is a pig, so maybe not much of a stretch.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/166206_choices25.html?source=rss