* [9fans] can I still buy it?
@ 2002-02-25  9:50 bigbinc
From: bigbinc @ 2002-02-25  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is plan9 still for sale from bell-labs and will it still be on
sell(lets say a year from now)?  I am a student so a new operating
system appeals to me.  What are your unbiased comments on the system
interesting.  I guess the real important thing(to me) anyway, what
does it is 'fell' like using the system.  Linux is great after you
have used it for 3-4 years.(w/o prior unix knowledge of course)  Does
plan-9 have that abrasive learning curve for performing complex stuff.

Berlin Brown
bigbinc@hotmail.com

* [9fans] Re: can I still buy it?
@ 2002-02-25 18:10 ` David Rubin
From: David Rubin @ 2002-02-25 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

bigbinc wrote:

> [...] Linux is great after you
> have used it for 3-4 years.(w/o prior unix knowledge of course)  Does
> plan-9 have that abrasive learning curve for performing complex stuff.

Not if you've used Unix for three or four years...

	david

--
If 91 were prime, it would be a counterexample to your conjecture.
    -- Bruce Wheeler

* Re: [9fans] can I still buy it?
@ 2002-02-25 18:10 ` Martin Neitzel
From: Martin Neitzel @ 2002-02-25 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>No need to buy. Just go to http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist
>and download.

I have bought the box with the two books and the CD just a month ago,
and it's great value for the money.  I am really glad I have all the
papers for my first Plan9 steps.  There's so much new material to
be read, and much of it is not just an option but a requirement.

Also, at certain times of the installation it was crucial to be
able to read plan9.ini(8).  Likewise, you better know your ways
around in ed(1) when you need to amend vgalib during installation.
If not, the books become essential, having net access on a second
machine being a (cumbersome) substitute.

Last but not least, the books are _beautiful_.  One gets an
amount of nice craftsmanship for the buck beyond the ordinary.

							Martin Neitzel

* Re: [9fans] can I still buy it?
@ 2002-02-25 10:09 nigel
From: nigel @ 2002-02-25 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

No need to buy. Just go to http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist
and download.

This list is the wrong place for an unbiased opinion. But, I'll try...

Plan 9 is interesting.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1937 bytes --]